Best small outboard

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Nah! just find an old British Seagull, what more could you want? Simple engineering, parts still available and once you have learned it's 'funny' little ways usually reliable.

:)

The Seagull and lead line , are probably the only boatie bits of equipment that you can hand down from father to son for about six generations.

NormanS

Visit site
Guys, your replies are exactly what I was looking for. Normally, I only use the outboard for going out to the mooring, when the dinghy is full of stuff. Normally, unless going for a long expedition, I prefer to row. It means that the outboard tends to be sitting on its bracket on the pushpit, with the remnants of salt water in it, and I have had problems in the past, with clogged water passages. It's not easy to flush with fresh when at sea.

I am therefore interested in the Honda 2.3 air cooled model. I know it'll be noisier, but is it terribly noisy? How would it compare to a Seagull? Is it completely air cooled, or does it have a water cooled exhaust?

Thanks for all your help. N.

mbroom

Visit site
Guys, your replies are exactly what I was looking for. Normally, I only use the outboard for going out to the mooring, when the dinghy is full of stuff. Normally, unless going for a long expedition, I prefer to row. It means that the outboard tends to be sitting on its bracket on the pushpit, with the remnants of salt water in it, and I have had problems in the past, with clogged water passages. It's not easy to flush with fresh when at sea.

I am therefore interested in the Honda 2.3 air cooled model. I know it'll be noisier, but is it terribly noisy? How would it compare to a Seagull? Is it completely air cooled, or does it have a water cooled exhaust?

I have both. Pros and cons with both. However the Honda wins as it is completely air cooled and has no water passages to block up. It is noisier, but not unbearably so. It seems to have a less tempromental carb in my limited experience.

Homer J

Visit site
I bought a torqeedo last season and am completely converted battery range good, not issues starting or storing and in three pieces for easy moving. I wouldn’t go back now. Electric is the way forward. Little noise and no smell eithe. Easy to put in the boot of the Car too as it breaks down.
get a good second had one if you tight on budget.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Good reports of the 2.3 Honda, mates got one and its dead reliable on the same gallon of fuel all season.

fredrussell

Visit site
Down at my mate’s club outboard shed (container) the other day, the Honda 2.3 was the most popular outboard on the racks. It’s got one big flaw: mild steel fasteners (seriously Honda?) but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Noisier than a four stroke water cooled outboard, it’s true, but not much between the noise from a Honda and my old Tohatsu 2.5 2 stroke.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I like both the Honda 2.3 and the Suzuki 2.5 (four stroke) and the weight is no different to the two strokes. The Tohatsu 3.5 and 2.5 four stroke (Mariner and Mercury are Tohatsu engines) are the same engines and weight but the 3.5 is tuned up to provide the extra horsepower.; they are heavy engines but well made. In my opinion, the Honda 2.3 and the Suzuki 2.5 are great outboards.

Visit site
It's long been my opinion that small four stroke outboard motors are the work of the devil visited upon us by the non-lamented late EU green lobby. Let's have something heavy, complicated and underpowered when we already had something lighter, simple and pokey.

Now I come to think about it, that was a euphemism for its entire structure.

dancrane

Visit site
Gentlemen, is it chance, or is there a good reason why the name Johnson hasn't been uttered here?

I know, whatever engine is named, tales of infuriating failure and others of glorious, viceless reliability will appear...

...but I've seen small late-model two-stroke Johnsons for sale lately, looking very clean, and I'd like one for the Avon. Bad idea?

Momac

Visit site
A friend bought a 2.3 Honda and it was faulty , developing a leak within few hours running from new - needed anew cylinder head . It was fixed under warranty but I am surprise they didn't offer a complete brand new replacement. So if you do buy a new one run it plenty to test it out..

When it comes to outboards for occasional use I think old is best ......

steve66

Visit site
A friend bought a 2.3 Honda and it was faulty , developing a leak within few hours running from new - needed anew cylinder head . It was fixed under warranty but I am surprise they didn't offer a complete brand new replacement. So if you do buy a new one run it plenty to test it out..

When it comes to outboards for occasional use I think old is best ......

Honda 2 /2.3hp (exactly the same outboard) are not as noisy as a Seagull. It is completely air cooled. I have lots in stock for sale, all have had a stainless bolt conversion, new carburettor, full major service and also a comprehensive warranty

Stemar

Visit site
Before my aged and beloved Tohatsu was stolen, the company that serviced it for me said it's so much better and lighter than modern 4T engines that it's worth spending the money to keep it running as long as parts are available. I was of the same opinion.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Honda 2 /2.3hp (exactly the same outboard) are not as noisy as a Seagull. It is completely air cooled. I have lots in stock for sale, all have had a stainless bolt conversion, new carburettor, full major service and also a comprehensive warranty

Aaaah, but there is something satisfying about the noise of a Seagull, However I would rather like a Torquedo but not at their prices.

looking at our 'Worx' battery strimmer, I think with a bit of thought, re-design and manufacture the design could be modified to make an effective small, lightweight outboard.

Jim@sea

Visit site
Why cant the elderly and vulnerable boat owners get dispensation to allow them to buy small 2 stroke outboards.
You know the type, light enough that you can lift it with one hand over the back of a dingy to bolt onto a transom.
I know 2 strokes are supposed to be destroying the environment but as a small dingy outboard might only use 1 tank full of petrol a season its not exactly a lot.
They still make these small 2 strokes.
How about a petition.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've also got a Honda 2.3 - excellent engine, always starts 2nd pull even after winter layup with old fuel. Not overly noisy, air cooled so no water passages to corrode up, one of the lightest 4 stroke outboard of it's size. I got mine from local dealer 2nd hand with warranty - Seamark Nunn who sometimes have 2nd hand but their new price is competitive.

Snoopy463

Visit site
Gentlemen, is it chance, or is there a good reason why the name Johnson hasn't been uttered here?

I know, whatever engine is named, tales of infuriating failure and others of glorious, viceless reliability will appear...

...but I've seen small late-model two-stroke Johnsons for sale lately, looking very clean, and I'd like one for the Avon. Bad idea?
I have a small Johnson. (No snide remarks from any ‘Mericans please). Its a 2hp 2 stroke made in 1998. I bought it 12 years ago for 50 quid and I guess its been roundly abused as I only use it about 3 times a year. The rest of the time its in the shed and the only nod to in season maintenance is to run it dry after use to drain the carb. Just started it after about three years of inactivity. Burst into life after about 12 pulls.
Great on the rigid tender and Zodiac. Even used it in an Achilles 24 well on a couple of occasions. Great little engines.