Cheap boats. The end is nigh, The Cheap Boat Thread

PHN

Visit site
I doubt - 'sold it to a man in a pub and don;t have his details' will be much of a defence.

With boats there usually is a harbour master who has paying customers for moorings and alike. The person who last paid for the mooring is the most likely candidate for owning the boat in terms of liability for scrapping.

PHN

Visit site
Tee hee. You just take the plates off the body and engine if that's your goal. Or burn it out. Scrapyards now will only take legit vehicles, so sometimes you [not me or you, I hope] have got to act illegally.

You must be very law abiding, I fear.

Edit: friend bought a van for living in when kayaking and when he tried to scrap it the scrapyard said it had been put together with so many different parts that the log book and the vehicle were in two separate and parallel universes. Caused him all kinds of hassle to get shot of it.

This is not about being law abiding, but about traceability. If you have a car registered in your name and this registration suddely stops without proper explanation would it not be obvious that you have to answer all kinds questions to the government?

dgadee

Visit site
This is not about being law abiding, but about traceability. If you have a car registered in your name and this registration suddely stops without proper explanation would it not be obvious that you have to answer all kinds questions to the government?

Look up 'Abandoned Cars Council' via Google. Plenty of them around of concern. So they must be being abandoned even with current IT information systems.

dgadee

Visit site
With boats there usually is a harbour master who has paying customers for moorings and alike. The person who last paid for the mooring is the most likely candidate for owning the boat in terms of liability for scrapping.

But you still have to proceed against them and then get the money off them. Finding them may be another of the difficulties.

You have a touching belief in the civil justice system (edit: or criminal).

obmij

Visit site
I don't see this as a particularly big deal. There will be always some who will try and escape their obligations. They may get away with it or they may not.

Most will act responsibly and in accordance with the law.

I've scrapped two cars. The first I had to pay to get someone to take it away. The next time I scrapped a car the price of scrap metal had shot up and someone paid me £200 for a load of junk! Both times I made sure I had proof of disposal.

Paid or otherwise, irrelevant. It didn't occur to me for a second to dump either of them.

But yeah, plenty of antisocial d1ckheads around - hence the mattresses and fridges dumped in hedgerows..

Btw some councils take the problem very seriously and will search through dumped rubbish looking for origin. If it is yours and even if you've paid someone to take it away, the liability remains with you, and quite rightly.

PHN

Visit site
But you still have to proceed against them and then get the money off them. Finding them may be another of the difficulties.

You have a touching belief in the civil justice system (edit: or criminal).

Basically what you are saying is "If I don't want to pay my bills I can get away with it, so why bother".

I don't have a "touching belief". I only have a problem with people crying that there is some kind of problem when the only problem is that there is apparantly a deliberate choice not to enforce regulations. If we choose not to enforce regulations than stop whining about all the issues caused by that choice and that we as the tax payer pick up the bill for it.

sails_02

Visit site
I just read this article (link - Baby boomers and the housing market on the cusp of COVID-19 | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal), which makes some interesting observations on how property is impacted by the large retiring cohort. It makes it seem likely that younger generations (hopeful boat owners) will further struggle to own their first home (a flat) as they start to compete with the retirees. Boats remain a distant dream while renting.

What of the theory that subsequent generations are all generally successively smaller (not to mention less wealthy), and that as the current retiring generation shed their assets to fund retirement (from large houses to retirement flats, from boats to gardening, from equities to bonds), this combined downward pressure (more sellers, fewer buyers) on price will continue to accelerate on all of the "from" items in that list, especially boats.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Even with the license plates removed the VIN will identify the vehicle and hence the owner. And when you stop paying insurance, tax, etc. What do you tell the government? That it vanished in thin air? And you get away with it?
Nowadays only approved yards can scrap cars, so those dismantled by amateurs (many classic car enthusiasts have broken one) have to continue in legal existence, despite physical reality. Oddly enough the government is perfectly happy with this, and simply says one should continue SORNing the car every year, even if it no longer exists. This has elegantly but unitentionally increased the supply of logbooks for those who would like to give a new identity to a rebuild.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I just read this article (link - Baby boomers and the housing market on the cusp of COVID-19 | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal), which makes some interesting observations on how property is impacted by the large retiring cohort. It makes it seem likely that younger generations (hopeful boat owners) will further struggle to own their first home (a flat) as they start to compete with the retirees.
It looks as if around 10% of retirees' homes will be on the market fairly soon, which should bring prices down a bit.

PHN

Visit site
Nowadays only approved yards can scrap cars, so those dismantled by amateurs (many classic car enthusiasts have broken one) have to continue in legal existence, despite physical reality. Oddly enough the government is perfectly happy with this, and simply says one should continue SORNing the car every year, even if it no longer exists. This has elegantly but unitentionally increased the supply of logbooks for those who would like to give a new identity to a rebuild.

Don't know how this works our in real life, but there are options if you don't want to bring the car to an approved scrap yard. At least according to the website of the government.

scrapping vehicles

[163233]

Visit site
The real problem is that some moorings are so cheap that people can leave wrecks on them as placeholders indefinitely.

PHN

Visit site
The real problem is that some moorings are so cheap that people can leave wrecks on them as placeholders indefinitely.

If it is a paid for mooring with an identified (liable) owner/tenant then what is the problem?

Of course additional requirements can be imposed like third party insurance and not being a hazard, oil spill, etc.

And next to that "keeping unused space occupied" sometimes is not desirable, but that is a different debate. Has happend with real estate too.

[163233]

Visit site
If it is a paid for mooring with an identified (liable) owner/tenant then what is the problem?

Of course additional requirements can be imposed like third party insurance and not being a hazard, oil spill, etc.

And next to that "keeping unused space occupied" sometimes is not desirable, but that is a different debate. Has happend with real estate too.

Well, someone who is willing to pay, can't, because it's occupied in some commie conspiracy.

Quandary

Visit site
I think it might just be a mistake to imagine that there will be a massive surfeit of boats for sale next year, most owners will have experienced what it is like to be bereft of their boats and will appreciate how important they are to life and wellbeing. What could be heathier than going sailing around the UK coast in your own boat? I suspect the massive cruise liner market will take longer to recover, it will take a year or two to forget the quarantine prisons these things so quickly became, exotic travel may not be so attractive for a few years either and air fares must increase massively with a lot fewer airlines and flights.
So, as long as I am healthy I will be holding on to our boat and trying to get back to enjoying her. It was what I was intending to do anyway, having already made the stupid mistake of giving up sailing twice already.
Not all of us oldies intend to turn our toes up this year either, but if I do Corona will be well worth a look.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Don't know how this works our in real life, but there are options if you don't want to bring the car to an approved scrap yard. At least according to the website of the government.
In some cases (insurance write-offs) someone else will deliver it to the Authorised Treatment Facility, but it has to go there somehow to get the V5C cancelled. Otherwise the car lives on for ever in limbo.