Internet TV receiver?

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Micro USB at one end and HDMI at the other end...

Given that the working Hudl cable that I have is micro HDMI at one end, which looks quite like micro USB and isn't, and plugs into the micro-HDMI socket on the Hudl which is separate from the Hudl's micro-USB, I'm afraid I don't believe you. Plus there is no mention of HDMI in the Samsung manual.

Mike.

DipperToo

Visit site
Micro USB at one end and HDMI at the other end...
Not all Samsung devices support MHL (Micro USB to HDMI).
The latest USB C on Samsung devices 'should' work with approved cables.
The alternative is to 'cast' to the Amazon Fire stick (I am using a Roku stick with success)
If you are going to use the phone/tablet for video, remember it takes a HUGE amount of data so unless you have a mobile contract allowing for streaming services stick to wifi.

laika

Visit site
At the moment we have free wifi from the marina and, for UK region specific stuff, I use my phone as a hotspot (I have 50gb with my contract) we don't have a router but would my Android phone work as one?

Yes. The firestick or chromecast will use those just as a PC would. It's simple: for the firestick (and I imagine chromecast same deal), stick into spare hdmi socket on telly, apply power via micro usb (from a usb port on your telly if it has one), switch tv to appropriate input, use firestick remote to select wifi hotspot and input password, enjoy mindless video entertainment.

If your tv is so old it doesn't have hdmi inputs that makes things a little more complicated....

wallacebob

Visit site
Yes. The firestick or chromecast will use those just as a PC would. It's simple: for the firestick (and I imagine chromecast same deal), stick into spare hdmi socket on telly, apply power via micro usb (from a usb port on your telly if it has one), switch tv to appropriate input, use firestick remote to select wifi hotspot and input password, enjoy mindless video entertainment.

If your tv is so old it doesn't have hdmi inputs that makes things a little more complicated....
Yes, I use firestick, very easy with a VPN to get UK content. Other option could be Spainish settop box (like Freeview) if no hdmi. But you’ll need an aerial! You can set language to English if original programme was made in USA or UK. It is free tho’. You may struggle in present situation to get hardware, my local carrefour or consum doesn’t sell things like this. Other outlets, like Mediamarkt , are all closed down.

colind3782

Visit site

It does have HDMI so a Firestick is on the shopping list. It's a pity that Spain is on lockdown so I can't even go and buy one! On the list for the next trip though and thanks for all the input.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Can I piggy back onto this thread?

I am looking for a similar device for the tv at home. I envisage something that has nothing more than a network (or wifi) input and an hdmi output and can be used to watch all the FREE catch up tv services without me having to "sign up" to anything (other than the respective broadcasters players)

But I want it to operate entirely through the tv via an on screen display and the devices remote control. I don't want a phone or a computer to play any part in it's operation.

lw395

Visit site
Can I piggy back onto this thread?

I am looking for a similar device for the tv at home. I envisage something that has nothing more than a network (or wifi) input and an hdmi output and can be used to watch all the FREE catch up tv services without me having to "sign up" to anything (other than the respective broadcasters players)

But I want it to operate entirely through the tv via an on screen display and the devices remote control. I don't want a phone or a computer to play any part in it's operation.
A modern Freeview set top box will do that.
Our Humax Freesat box, with a hard disk in it to record programmes off the satellite dish, also has wifi to access i-player and so forth.
Not sure it can access youtube or Netflix, but our box is quite old now.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
At the moment we have free wifi from the marina and, for UK region specific stuff, I use my phone as a hotspot (I have 50gb with my contract) we don't have a router but would my Android phone work as one? Spain is officially closed. All bars and restaurants are closed and the only businesses open here are supermarkets and pharmacies. It's going to get boring quite soon!

I don't think anyone answered this specific query. Perhaps it was slightly confusing saying "I use my phone as a hotspot" and then asking "we don't have a router but would my Android phone work as one? ".

If you meant "it works on iPhone, would it work on Android?" The answer is yes.
If you meant "can an Android phone act as a router?" The answer is also yes.

It varies from version to version but is usually found in settings under Network & Internet. Look for something saying Configure Wi-Fi hotspot or similar. Setting your phone up as a hotspot is essentially making it behave like a wireless router. You can connect using other devices, (printers etc.) to share services, files and internet connection.

I've used a phone in this way. I also have an old HUDL with HDMI to play video on an old TV. A raspberry Pi Zero W also acts as a media centre, dirt cheap and works well.

laika

Visit site
Just to update this a little (in case anyone finds this in the future)...I recently acquired a chromecast for my parents which was probably a mistake.

The firestick is a standalone thing with a remote. Plug it into an hdmi port, select that port on your tv, set it up to connect to your wifi and streaming accounts, then you can use your remote to select an app onscreen (iplayer, netflix etc.) and off you go. Just like a "smart tv".

The chromecast requires you to have the streaming app on another device (tablet, smartphone, computer). You're effectively using the TV as a remote display for your phone, tablet etc. This may work well for people who always have their phone/tablet with them and can't be bothered with another remote. I think for oldies who find mucking about with smartphones a chore the chromecast might not be optimal. Note that you can't use an amazon fire tablet to cast netflix to the chromecast without some dodgy hacks.

colind3782

Visit site
Just to update this a little (in case anyone finds this in the future)...I recently acquired a chromecast for my parents which was probably a mistake.

The firestick is a standalone thing with a remote. Plug it into an hdmi port, select that port on your tv, set it up to connect to your wifi and streaming accounts, then you can use your remote to select an app onscreen (iplayer, netflix etc.) and off you go. Just like a "smart tv".

The chromecast requires you to have the streaming app on another device (tablet, smartphone, computer). You're effectively using the TV as a remote display for your phone, tablet etc. This may work well for people who always have their phone/tablet with them and can't be bothered with another remote. I think for oldies who find mucking about with smartphones a chore the chromecast might not be optimal. Note that you can't use an amazon fire tablet to cast netflix to the chromecast without some dodgy hacks.

Thanks. That's useful information. If we ever get back to the boat I'll be ordering a Firestick.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I don't have a tablet and I wanted to free up my laptop so the Admiral can watch her TV while I get on with the important stuff of arguing with people on social media! :)

We use HDMI to TV but that fouls up computer use, as in your case. Sods Law, I can't find it now but a while ago saw advert for fully functional W10 on a usb stick which is said to turn the TV into a W10 computer, maybe that would solve your (our) problem?

Firestick and Chromecast are mentioned above but, will they receive UK TV abroad without going through vpn?