Coronavirus: Delaying launch? New precautions?

nicho

Visit site
Confusing messages. Someone from government (didn’t’ catch name) said on the radio this morning to work from home if you can, but if that’s not possible, then they want you to go to work, but ensuring all the recommended precautions. Waiting to hear from Premier Marinas if the boat will be lifted next Wednesday, and if local marine engineers will be allowed on site. I believe there were meetings this morning, but no email as yet. Then have to decide whether it’s worth lifting now and gambling on restrictions being lifted soon, or leave it in the water and be subject to delays in relaunch. We live 150 miles away and in self isolation for 3 months due to wife’s auto immune problem and in high risk category.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

JumbleDuck

Visit site
As I have to pass the South Beach on the way to our nearest shops, I will take the 200yd detour down to the car park on my way to the shops, just to check on her , but accept that working on her is now out of order until the restrictions are lifted.
It might raise eyebrows, but a little illogically because it would still be fine for you to employ a self-employed shipwright, electrican or mechanic to work on her. I'll be working intensively on a boat, but as it's in my garden 50 feet from my front door I hope to make the journey to her undetected.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
After a chaotic week, I personally feel that the UK has maneuvered itself into a pretty good position supported by a broad social buy-in.
I agree. Definitely better to have gradually introduced restrictions based on social responsibility than heavy-handed authoritarianism, which might work for a week or three but is unlikely to get long-term acceptance.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
It might raise eyebrows, but a little illogically because it would still be fine for you to employ a self-employed shipwright, electrican or mechanic to work on her. I'll be working intensively on a boat, but as it's in my garden 50 feet from my front door I hope to make the journey to her undetected.

? If only, unfortunately my pension just about permits me to maintain her myself, pay the insurance and the exorbitant mooring fees that our council charge .

JumbleDuck

Visit site
? If only, unfortunately my pension just about permits me to maintain her myself, pay the insurance and the exorbitant mooring fees that our council charge .
Serves you right for owning a "luxury yacht" (according to the Daily Mail).

I've just heard that the local garage has been given the go-ahead to open again tomorrow, and can therefore replace the stuffed clutch in my car. I have, of course, asked them to treat it as a low priority job.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Despite being on list of essential services, I and my colleagues have been instructed to work from home and only go in this morning to retreive stuff. I now have vast office computer cluttering up my dining table as IT only got a lap top registered to me after I had already got home with the bulkier clutter.

So when the independent Cornish boatyard emailed to say all work on newer boat and launching ceased, I respected it and duly wished them luck in these difficult times. God knows how they will survive

When Cardiff barrage told me that maybe only commercial craft can use the locks to routinely access safe harbour until further notice I thanked them for the info.

Of course the Bristol Channel Marina where our other boat is out of water may be less helpful, but I cannot attend the launching thisThursday due to restrictions and probably cant move boat to moorings anyway. I can merely hope not to be overcharged but for now I can at least work part time to pay at need.

Its the plague and I dont want too many of my vulnerable friends and neighbours to die needlessly.

If I live I will sail next year;)

Simononsolway

Visit site
Someone from the Government was on Radio 4 this afternoon seeking to clarify some of the new restrictions. Whilst not mentioning boats specifically, they gave the example that it would be perfectly acceptable for someone to go and do a few hours work in their allotment, because they would be a safe distance from anyone else and the mental and physical health benefits of getting out and doing something, are significant. I would have thought that this was a valid comparison to rowing out to a swinging mooring and either going for a sail or doing a couple of hours of varnishing on your own.

prv

Visit site
I’m certainly intending to take my paddleboard out when I have the time. It’s no different to riding a bike, except that on the river I’ll be even further away from other people than the cyclists and walkers in the park are.

I wasn’t planning to go sailing anyway, but the points about touching gates, handrails, etc in a marina are good ones. Also that a lonely beach and a mooring are not the same as a marina.

Pete

Denek

Visit site
We are due to launch May 6th. We were on the ASAP list but I took her off as we have a couple of jobs still to do which I was planning to take care of yesterday but I guess it ranks as unnecessary travel. Hoping things are looking a little better by May but not holding my breath. We have a swing mooring at Levington and it would be nice to get out there but I think the boat is safer on the hard if we can’t get to check on her. I have a feeling we will not be sailing much if at all this year. I don’t understand why people would risk unnecessary interaction or even coming into contact with objects others have touched. We are even wiping down everything we buy from the supermarket with disinfectant. Over the top maybe but I am not taking chances with this.

Slycat

Visit site
FYI - re: going to your boat solo to tinker/maintain/improve.

From what I understand the gov still appreciate that going outside safetly is fine. They issued guidance.

Quote from national paper:
Gove initially suggested contact would not be allowed but he later corrected himself, saying children under 18 would be permitted to move between the households of their separated parents.
On different types of exercise, he said people would be allowed to run, walk or go to an allotment, but not to do more social activities, such as playing golf.

So , some common sense here. If your boat is handy to you and you are isolated the entire time seems perfectly reasonable to spend some constructuive time alone outdoors.

awol

Visit site
Some of you guys just don't get it, do you? Panic buying in supermarkets can be caused by just one person buying a large number of a commodity, possibly quite sensibly, being seen by others who panic and do the same. Part of the weekend crowds were people who saw others out and about and then did the same. You may be absolutely fine going to and sailing your boat but someone else not so smart might think if he can, so can I. STAY AT HOME!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Meanwhile judging by the email just received from X Yachts, MDL seem to be quite happy to keep thier boatyard working including putting boats back in the water

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
ive no idea who X Yachts MDL are but quite frankly its a disgrace. Look at it this way, my business has been shut down for 2 whole weeks now, no income at all. no boats on moorings that regardless of any shutdown still generate an income. we are in an area with relatively low numbers of coronavirus cases. But we are closed to stop the spread to anyone. we have done this because we were told to, the government made a decision. On Monday night all busineses premises excluding those listed as essential were told to close, not asked but told to. in an attempt to save peoples lives.
There are no exceptions to business premises. premises have staff and public on site hence the reason to shut them down. They are breaking the law and putting peoples lives in danger. and its completly unfair.

Steveeasy

penberth3

Visit site
…..So , some common sense here. If your boat is handy to you and you are isolated the entire time seems perfectly reasonable to spend some constructuive time alone outdoors......

And 10 or 20 people all use that argument, all turn up at the same place?

The over-riding message is stay at home, not tinker with boats.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So , some common sense here. If your boat is handy to you and you are isolated the entire time seems perfectly reasonable to spend some constructuive time alone outdoors.
And 10 or 20 people all use that argument, all turn up at the same place?

In my case they would be in my garden, which would be discourteous of them. Slycat would not be "isolated the whole time".

Slycat

Visit site
In my case they would be in my garden, which would be discourteous of them. Slycat would not be "isolated the whole time".

It's common sense. I know my local marina, I've been there a few times.
Personally if I did go to the boat I'd not be within 10m of anyone the entire time for sure! (Speaking from experience when I go looking for someone in the past to give me a hand with something!)

For sure if your local spot could have a lot of people around, it not be wise to go

Seven Spades

Visit site
A Boris Bulletin last night clarified that it is NOT essential travel for us to go to second homes, caravans, and campsites or similar (my italics), whether for holidays or isolation purposes. I think we can take it that travelling to the boat comes under the 'or similar' when it becomes compulsory under 'further action by the government'

The reason given is to avoid overloading local services. Both the Camping and Caravan Clubs closed all their sites last night in support of this move.
There is a big difference between sitting on your boat at nchor and parking in a field with a lot of other people.

Seven Spades

Visit site
ive no idea who X Yachts MDL are but quite frankly its a disgrace. Look at it this way, my business has been shut down for 2 whole weeks now, no income at all. no boats on moorings that regardless of any shutdown still generate an income. we are in an area with relatively low numbers of coronavirus cases. But we are closed to stop the spread to anyone. we have done this because we were told to, the government made a decision. On Monday night all busineses premises excluding those listed as essential were told to close, not asked but told to. in an attempt to save peoples lives.
There are no exceptions to business premises. premises have staff and public on site hence the reason to shut them down. They are breaking the law and putting peoples lives in danger. and its completly unfair.

Steveeasy
Are you in the U.K.? That is not the instructions here. Only shops, pubs etc are required to close. Other businesses are encouraged to continue operating with staff home working if possible. My business has only two people on the ground floor and 1 on the first and they are not to mix. Everyone else is working from home.