Oyster 406

Rachel3

Visit site
I have just purchased a 406 Decks house version, 1978 id no. 702967 Name when built “Red Bug” in now called “Red Star”.
She is unfortunately burnt out, so I am now starting to restore.
An interior plan would be useful, if one is available.

Yngmar

Visit site
I have just purchased a 406 Decks house version, 1987id no. 702967 Name when built “Red Bug” in now called “Red Star”.

Great opportunity!

Couple sketches you can find on the internet, along with plenty of photos. I always thought the 80s Oysters were great boats that suffered a bit from awkward interior layouts, especially since the interior was often semi-custom with original owners making poor choices such as round settees.

So it sounds like you have the chance to improve on that, right their wrongs and end up with a wonderful boat inside and out. Raise the deck salon seating so seated eyelevel is at the windows, make use of the enourmous space below (look up a Sirius 35/40DS for how cleverly this can be done) and put the galley out of the passage and into the deck salon (standing eye level at window level) so cooking can be enjoyed with a view (unless you have a galley slave, like those 80s yacht buyers must've had). Good luck and I hope you succeed :)

Layout.jpg

new-doc-2017-11-16_orig.jpg

neil1967

Visit site
Great opportunity!

Couple sketches you can find on the internet, along with plenty of photos. I always thought the 80s Oysters were great boats that suffered a bit from awkward interior layouts, especially since the interior was often semi-custom with original owners making poor choices such as round settees.

So it sounds like you have the chance to improve on that, right their wrongs and end up with a wonderful boat inside and out. Raise the deck salon seating so seated eyelevel is at the windows, make use of the enourmous space below (look up a Sirius 35/40DS for how cleverly this can be done) and put the galley out of the passage and into the deck salon (standing eye level at window level) so cooking can be enjoyed with a view (unless you have a galley slave, like those 80s yacht buyers must've had). Good luck and I hope you succeed :)

Layout.jpg

new-doc-2017-11-16_orig.jpg
Some 406s, such as ours, had a centreline aft cabin, rather than the offset one depicted above. I might be wrong but I think the coach roof version had the offset cabin and the deck saloon had the centreline.

Juju12

Visit site
I have just purchased a 406 Decks house version, 1978 id no. 702967 Name when built “Red Bug” in now called “Red Star”.
Hi I was also looking at red star. How is it going? Id love a project like that. Good luck

Rachel3

Visit site
Slow....first job is getting all the burn out and the smell. Smoke does a lot of damage. It will have to be rewired completly. Am posting a video on Youtube will post a link when is uploaded......this is very sad20200325_093304.jpgRed Star video

Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Looks like you've got a ton of work ahead of you. How did they manage to put the fire out at that stage? And isn't there damage to the GRP as well?

Rachel3

Visit site
Yes some damage to the GRP over the main bed, but we have delt with that. added new matting, so its strnger then it was before now.

ojkwebb

Visit site
Hi there,
I was wondering where you found such a great project boat? I'm looking for a similar project and was wondering if there are places I should be looking?
Thanks again!

Rachel3

Visit site
Hi there,
I was wondering where you found such a great project boat? I'm looking for a similar project and was wondering if there are places I should be looking?
Thanks again!
I might be interested to give this project up, if your interested? give me a call 00420737328852 the boat is in St Olaves Norfolk on the river Waveney.