Allowed on boat...

Marmalade

Visit site
Are we allowed to go sailing? Latest steer is to avoid non-essential travel - including to holiday homes, caravans etc. Presume that includes boats. Don't quite get it - as I went up to the boat yesterday and stayed aboard - didn't come within 20m let alone 2m of anyone - ok I spoke to John at the marina at a distance - but well outside the required tolerances.

If we go sailing (if ever it gets warm enough) I can't see how we could break any of the social distancing rules - and I can't think of many other recreational pursuits that you can undertake with no danger of coming into close proximity to others.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't think that there is a law against it, yet, but we are being directed to stay at home. There are going to be several activities that could be claimed as safe, even golf perhaps, but the complexity of the situation makes it impossible for them to make exceptions. I don't think that you will be arrested for sailing, for a while, but I don't think that you will be able to escape being viewed as selfish.

Rappey

Visit site
Im sure a lot of us are wondering about that.. Ive just antifouled one of my boats - just in case we can still use them .
I step outside my front door, walk 100ft to my dingy, row out to my boat and have zero contact with anyone .... guess we will soon know.

Denek

Visit site
I guess from this point we will not be able to travel to our boat never mind sail it. I was intending to go to finish mine ready for launch today but that’s not possible now as I suppose this is deemed non essential travel. This means I will be forced to start the list of things around the house the other half has created.

tillergirl

Visit site
Yeap! A number of us were debating yesterday postponing launch; all now a redundant debate. In many ways it makes things simpler. Loads to do in the garden fortunately... and tidying the shed. That will take two weeks.

stuey_two

Visit site
One of the reasons for avoiding
Are we allowed to go sailing? Latest steer is to avoid non-essential travel - including to holiday homes, caravans etc. Presume that includes boats. Don't quite get it - as I went up to the boat yesterday and stayed aboard - didn't come within 20m let alone 2m of anyone - ok I spoke to John at the marina at a distance - but well outside the required tolerances.

If we go sailing (if ever it gets warm enough) I can't see how we could break any of the social distancing rules - and I can't think of many other recreational pursuits that you can undertake with no danger of coming into close proximity to others.
Apart from the social distancing ideas, one of the reasons for avoiding non-essential travel is to reduce the frequency with which the emergency services need to be called out. Hopefully we will see road accident rates significantly reduced, at least for a while.

johnalison

Visit site
The question was asked on TV whether it was permissible to take the car to a quiet place for one's exercise. The answer was that it was OK. This is something I intend to do - just a mile or so. I would dearly love to drive to the boat for my 'exercise' but I think that a half-hour drive would be pushing things and potentially antisocial, as per #9

Old Harry

Visit site
One of the reasons for avoiding

Apart from the social distancing ideas, one of the reasons for avoiding non-essential travel is to reduce the frequency with which the emergency services need to be called out. Hopefully we will see road accident rates significantly reduced, at least for a while.
Maybe the hike in marine insurance will be reversed next renewal

PeterWright

Visit site
In the light of Boris' statement last evening, I would even question the TV advice that it's OK to drive to somewhere to get your daily dose of exercise. Stay at home unless it's strictly necessary to leave, doesn't leave much wriggle room in my view. I guess it's been put that way because his earlier announcements left a lot of wriggle room, so were widely abused and he was abused for "being unclear".

In general, I don't have much time for Boris, but this puts him in a no win situation whatever he says, and I think any restrictions placed by the government in the interests of limiting the inevitably large number of deaths this pandemic will cause should be adhered to in both spirit and letter.

Peter

johnalison

Visit site
I haven't put my intention to do a short drive to walk into operation yet but my quote from the TV was from a politician. I plan to wait a day or two to see how the advice pans out, but in any case I am intending to save fuel and envy for important things, like the mower.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I know the line has to be drawn somewhere, but it's difficult to explain why my 17 year old grandaughter can visit her Dad but her 19 year old sister cannot.
They accept that they can't sail two person dinghies but why not Lasers or windsurfers or SUPs.
The answer has to be "because the law says so!"
Thankfully they are both responsible people, but I sympathise with parents of stroppy teenagers.

Dee Bee

Visit site
On the PM radio programme, they had a listeners' questions session and one was "Can I drive somewhere to walk?". The answer was yes provided that you walked in a responsibly socially distant manner. So if you drive to the boat, keep away from other people and go out solo or with someone you live with, I can't see the difference between that and driving to go for a walk. Yet again, the governement advice leaves too much leeway for interpretation.