Tyne Tank Cleaning Jetty - Pub

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Know the one you mean, but I'm bu99ered if I can remember the name either.

I'll probably be trying to remember it for weeks now! Thanks!

tugboat

Visit site
I remember a grotty pub just up the road from Smith's Dock in N Shields. Called 'the Jungle' IIRC. Were all NS pubs grotty?

steve4367

Visit site
This would be Minnie Beck's, The Dock Hotel. I trawled this area in the early 70's photographing the old Albert Edward dock and surrounding areas, but I think the pub had gone by '74 or '75. I have a photo if you'd like it emailed?

Sueh

Visit site
This would be Minnie Beck's, The Dock Hotel. I trawled this area in the early 70's photographing the old Albert Edward dock and surrounding areas, but I think the pub had gone by '74 or '75. I have a photo if you'd like it emailed?

Uricanejack

Visit site
I remember a grotty pub just up the road from Smith's Dock in N Shields. Called 'the Jungle' IIRC. Were all NS pubs grotty?

The last time I was in the Jungle, about 35 years ago. I went for a drink with an old friend, known as Uricanejack, shortly before he passed away,
It had been tarted up and turned into a classy wine bar. Lost most of its particular charm.

Occasionally I would make my way over to N Shields pubs in the morning. Near the yard gates. They would be open early for when the grave yard shift ended.
Otherwise I generally frequented S Shields pubs.

Although in my slightly biased opinion, Even the grottiest Geordie pubs on ither side of the Tynes.Were quite classy compared some of the Pubs on the Humber. Where “The Bongo” was in my option possibly one of Britain’s Grottiest.

From my personal expierience the Grottiest Seaside Pub Club or Bar award goes to a little place which was run by an old 10 Pound Pomme and his wife in Thevenard South Australia. It was quite entertaining,

Last edited:

Portland Billy

Visit site
Wasn't the Jungle's actual name The Northumberland Arms Hotel? Run by a Mr Sid McCuloch of local fame.
Spent many an evening enjoying the ambience while under refit at Smiths.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Although in my slightly biased opinion, Even the grottiest Geordie pubs on ither side of the Tynes.Were quite classy compared some of the Pubs on the Humber. Where “The Bongo” was in my option possibly one of Britain’s Grottiest.

My Dad came from near Newcastle, and one thing that he warned me to be VERY careful about was the use of the term "Geordie". A Geordie is ONLY from the Newcastle side of the Tyne (and only Newcastle, at that); the people from south of the Tyne are NOT Geordies, and there's strong rivalry between the inhabitants of Newcastle and the inhabitants of Gateshead. My Dad came from a few miles outside Newcastle (near Ebchester) and was adamant that he wasn't a Geordie! And he was right; the dialect even a few miles from Newcastle is quite different; I could understand my grandparents quite easily, but true Geordie sounds like a foreign language!

Uricanejack

Visit site
I am not qualified to define who is and isn’t a Geordie. If I remember correctly S Shields folk were known locally as Sand Dancers.
I worked for a Newcastle company, head office actually in Gates Head. For a while. One old fellow was one of the Elder Brethren.
A position he was quite proud of. He took great pleasure in explaining to me. Why I could never be one of the Brethren.
Because I am a Scot.

To be one of the Brethren for the Tyne area. You have to be first a Freeman of the City of Newcastle. To become a Freeman apparently you have to go out and by the required robes ect and a Sword. You then swear an oath to defend the city from marauding Scots.
So I couldn’t meet the requirements.

Although I generally found the Geordies and others from the area quite friendly. Almost everyone who came from other parts of England would complain about how unfriendly they were.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I am not qualified to define who is and isn’t a Geordie. If I remember correctly S Shields folk were known locally as Sand Dancers.
I worked for a Newcastle company, head office actually in Gates Head. For a while. One old fellow was one of the Elder Brethren.
A position he was quite proud of. He took great pleasure in explaining to me. Why I could never be one of the Brethren.
Because I am a Scot.

To be one of the Brethren for the Tyne area. You have to be first a Freeman of the City of Newcastle. To become a Freeman apparently you have to go out and by the required robes ect and a Sword. You then swear an oath to defend the city from marauding Scots.
So I couldn’t meet the requirements.

Although I generally found the Geordies and others from the area quite friendly. Almost everyone who came from other parts of England would complain about how unfriendly they were.
I think the main problem is that true Geordies speak a very specific dialect of English which includes an unusually high number of dialect words. The result is that it can be very difficult for someone speaking a more "standard" version of English to understand them. I suspect that's why you get the stories about them being unfriendly. I once heard a group of Geordies speaking together in a cafe, and asked my Dad what language they were speaking!

I can JUST understand the Lambton Worm - but that's in Northumbrian dialect, not Geordie! Dad didn't speak with a Northumbrian accent, but he did sing the old folk-songs from those parts, and of course my grandparents spoke Northumbrian dialect.

Hugo Beauchamp

Visit site
Hello Steve - Grateful if you could forward a photo of Minnie, her pub and the area if you can - I was a newly qualified Marconi Radio Officer finishing his 'probation' on one of Stevie Clarkes colliers (the Flatties) "mv Harry Richardson" in the mid-sixties. I remember Minnie Beck well, on my first visit I was permitted just one half pint of Newcastle Brown on the basis that I was over 18 but under 19! Some photos of the staiths (if you have any) would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
H

2Tizwoz

Visit site
Wasn't the Jungle's actual name The Northumberland Arms Hotel? Run by a Mr Sid McCuloch of local fame.
Spent many an evening enjoying the ambience while under refit at Smiths.
It had the reputation of being a brothel for many years.

In recent times it's been tranformed into upmarket housing. Funny how things change.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I can JUST understand the Lambton Worm - but that's in Northumbrian dialect, not Geordie! Dad didn't speak with a Northumbrian accent, but he did sing the old folk-songs from those parts, and of course my grandparents spoke Northumbrian dialect.

Whist, lad, had yer gob!

All tells yers aaalll an awful story ...

There's a whole pantheon of dialects that are collectively grouped as "Northumbrian" (referring to ancient Northumbria, not the modern county of Northumberland)

There was a huge variety. The Lambton Worm is actually (mostly) Wearside* dialect as spoken by my paternal grandmother and her friends

My paternal step-grandfather however, being a former miner from Pittington, spoke what is now known as Pitmatic

My maternal grandfather spoke "posh Sunderland", a refined cross between Wearside and BBC English (!) whereas my maternal grandmother, who hailed from Durham, spoke differently again!

Gran and Grandpa (my maternal grandparents) you'd have readily understood. That said, the staff at the home in Northampton where my gran spent her final years during which she'd mentally regressed to her childhood, did have difficulties

Nana, especially, and Granda however were almost completely incomprehensible to anybody from outside the area. My Northampton born and bred wife used to fall about laughing when me and our Nan got going cos she reckoned we could talk for hours without saying a single sentence she understood!

It saddens me today that I so thoroughly lost my accent when we moved South. Although it does come back without conscious thought if I get into conversation with somebody from back home

* Also known today as "Mackem", a formerly derogatory term for Wearsiders used by Newcastle fans and which I dislike and will not use)