Baltimore 2019

PhillM

Visit site
Excitement increasing. Paean now launched. Most jobs done. One critical job (roofing arrangements) and a couple left, plus a few that are not critical (inconvenient rather than important) won't be done now as time has run out.

Seafeather Wind vane installed. Hope to test it later this week.

Next step is to start preparing me. I am guessing that at some stage I am likely to experience conditions that could make me very cold and wet. My weather proof kit isn't. So need to start thinking about what to buy. Budget is severely restricted as so much has been spent on the boat. However, I do get that a cold wet skipper = poor decision making with potential consequences.

Comments / suggestions please.

sarabande

Visit site
The heavy duty, bomb-proof stuff is too serious for sailing for which flexibility. is needed. They have some breathable fabrics - worth a quick call to their customer service people to see if they have any special offers ?

01255 475809
sales@fishermansclothing.co.uk

I don't like smocks, so a long front zip is best. For farming, the Dremfarn is good, and I think the sailing version comes in decent colours and with a hood.

PhillM

Visit site
Thank you. I shall give them a call today.

Another question (sorry) ATM being a spoiled Solent sailor (Bosun's launch to the mooring and marinas!) I do not currently have a Dinghy. In the past I have owned a couple but they were either very heavy (so hard to stow and get up on deck) and/or to large to inflate aboard. I am considering a little Seago roundtail 1.8m with oars. Will that suffice for Baltimore or do I really need an outboard as well?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I am considering a little Seago roundtail 1.8m with oars. Will that suffice for Baltimore or do I really need an outboard as well?

Baltimore Harbour is easy enough to row around unless the wind gets up so an outboard shouldn't be needed. Last time I was there a number of people moored and rafted out to the jetty, so that is a possibility for you to consider.

I am a great believer in old Avon Redstarts or Redrests. Easy to blow up easy to pack away either in the forepeak or tied to the foredeck and being Hypalon last almost for ever.

zoidberg

Visit site
John 'Glayva' Apps is certainly right..... "unless the wind gets up".

Even a blow-up plastic dinghy will suffice, but don't forget the real test is NOT getting ashore with it, but getting back afterwards! ;)
It's a real test of 'Jester seamanship' if you remember to leave a light on so you can find your boat again after a session on The Murphys.

And don't forget you will probably want to stop in the Isles of Scilly on the way back. The same realities apply.... unless you really, really enjoy swimming before and after the pub!

PhillM

Visit site
If anyone gets stuck for moorings in Plymouth, PM me. We may be able to help.

Hi Sarbande,

Your message inbox is full, so cannot on you.

For a variety of reasons including needing to be at home while youngest son completes his A-Levels, I need to sail Paean down to Plymouth mid to end of next week. I shall then train home and return the day before the Jester is due to leave. Budget has been rather stretched to get her ready for the start line, so I really don’t want to have to lay out for a fortnight in a marina.

I have yet to talk to Tamar SC but expect that they will be inundated a few days before the off. If you have any options, I would be most grateful. Paean is 24’6”, 3 tons and draws 3’6”.

Many thanks,
PhillM

steveeasy

Visit site
Regarding dingy and outboards. Space and cost were really important to me, so I picked up a Avon Redstart, These fold up reasonably small and are quite cheap at present. I also bought a Seagull shortshaft for £100, works great and nice and light. There seams lots of these for sale and at very reasonable prices. Quite Retro as well.

Steveeasy

lampshuk

Visit site
Evening, All.
Checking in with the Group.
If all goes according to plan, Drifter (Moody 31) and I will be joining the Challenge.
It's getting increasingly "for real" isn't it?

Gitane

Visit site
Indeed it’s getting real.

Just bought food and grog for the trip to Plymouth from the East Coast.

Departing Bradwell for Ramsgate on Saturday and then all points West to eventually end up in Plymouth.

Due to another commitment before the start of the Challenge, I hope to get to Plymouth by the 11th June.

Weather so far looks good, if not a bit damp at times.

PhillM

Visit site
Hmm, not a great delivery trip. Left Hamble later than I wanted to due to preparations over-running (my fault). Missed every tidal gate. Arrived at Plymouth in the dark and in fog. Decided to enter (bad call should have stood off or found an anchorage). Got it wrong. Grounded on submerged rocks IN the harbour. Called Mayday as taking on water and listing. Lifeboat and Police launch attended.

Paean now out of the water at Mayflower marina and awaiting insurance quotes. There is a slim chance repairs can be done in time. but only slim. Not giving up and am still pressing to make the start, but its looking more unlikely.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hmm, not a great delivery trip. Left Hamble later than I wanted to due to preparations over-running (my fault). Missed every tidal gate. Arrived at Plymouth in the dark and in fog. Decided to enter (bad call should have stood off or found an anchorage). Got it wrong. Grounded on submerged rocks IN the harbour. Called Mayday as taking on water and listing. Lifeboat and Police launch attended.

Paean now out of the water at Mayflower marina and awaiting insurance quotes. There is a slim chance repairs can be done in time. but only slim. Not giving up and am still pressing to make the start, but its looking more unlikely.

Phil,
Im so sorry to hear this. I do hope you can get the repairs done as these opportunities don't come along to often. All that hard work and preparation. Fingers crossed.

Steveeasy

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
PhillM,

There's no great loss in starting later, when the 'poxy is dry. Many Jester and OSTAR types have started even up to a week after the gun. It's what happens next that counts.... and the pub and club at Baltimore will still be there. I say again, it's not a race! "You don't need to be at the Start. You do need to be at the Finish."

A visiting yotsman asked a Baltimore quayside loiterer "I saw, my good man, what time does yonder pub close?" Came the reply "Well, sor, dat'll be about October...."

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Phil,
Im so sorry to hear this. I do hope you can get the repairs done as these opportunities don't come alone to often. All that hard work and preparation. Fingers crossed.

Steveeasy

+1 Very sorry to hear this, I hope you get Paean sorted. I'm quite gutted I can't make the start (so you've already done better than me) but things aren't quite lining up and Ireland isn't going anywhere, don't think you've failed because you haven't.

Gitane

Visit site
+1 Very sorry to hear this, I hope you get Paean sorted. I'm quite gutted I can't make the start (so you've already done better than me) but things aren't quite lining up and Ireland isn't going anywhere, don't think you've failed because you haven't.

+1 very sorry to hear this too. Hopefully the repairs can be sorted so that you can do the challenge, even if you depart late. You won't be on your own starting late, as, due to another commitment, I will probably start on the monday after the official start. If the weather is awful, I'll wait even longer until a better weather window appears.

Meanwhile, now in Dover, tomorrow heading for Eastbourne.

eebygum

Visit site
As they say... reaching the start is the hardest part... but the most important outcome is that your ok and the boat has been saved... Sounds like you made the right decision to call for help when you did.

Hope you still make the start and look forward to buying you a pint in Baltimore if I make the last 50
Miles to the start line at Pwhelli.

All the best, Andrew (Vivendi)