Studland Bay - what you need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

superheat6k

Visit site
Chatting in my local pub in Hamble with a non boater revealed his view that boaters have virtually destroyed the sea horse habitat at Studland. When I suggested his source of this information may not have been so accurate he countered it was proven scientific fact.

Seems the protagonists for getting boating banned here there and everywhere is, sadly, gaining momentum.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Chatting in my local pub in Hamble with a non boater revealed his view that boaters have virtually destroyed the sea horse habitat at Studland. When I suggested his source of this information may not have been so accurate he countered it was proven scientific fact.

Seems the protagonists for getting boating banned here there and everywhere is, sadly, gaining momentum.

Sad, but hardly surprising when you consider the BBC and press coverage. Type studland seahorse endangered into Google and you will get an impression.

Seajet

Visit site
Sad, but hardly surprising when you consider the BBC and press coverage. Type studland seahorse endangered into Google and you will get an impression.

The beloved BBC pillock Chris ' I tear off childrens' fridge paintings ' Patten was conned by the Sea Horse Trust - all one of him, taking public charity donations so as to live by one of the most attractive sandy beaches in the UK while supplying zero evidence / data for his cause.

Patten called sailors " gin swilling wreckers of the environment " which shows how much research he puts in...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Was his name Donald Trump?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
On the Evening Echo website today... https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17338182.seahorses-making-a-comeback/

The third photo shows quite a healthy eel grass coverage and the write up is failtly well balanced, citing recent storms as causing problems and talking about the general problem of marine conservation quite a bit rather then Studland specifically. Comments from NGM are included but are presented in a sensible manner as an opinion almost, with the Dorset Wildlife Trust getting more column inches but again with very general comments not blaming anyone. No direct mention of eelgrass or anchorages for once.

oldharry

Visit site
On the Evening Echo website today... https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17338182.seahorses-making-a-comeback/

The third photo shows quite a healthy eel grass coverage and the write up is failtly well balanced, citing recent storms as causing problems and talking about the general problem of marine conservation quite a bit rather then Studland specifically. Comments from NGM are included but are presented in a sensible manner as an opinion almost, with the Dorset Wildlife Trust getting more column inches but again with very general comments not blaming anyone. No direct mention of eelgrass or anchorages for once.

Thanks for the heads up. I had correspondence with the Echo after their antics last summer, which they seem to have taken seriously. Dorset Wildlife Trust, although obviously pro-conservation, have been conspicuously absent from the Studland argument stirred up by NGM. It was noteworthy too that they were very keen to support the BORG /RYA initiative a few years ago preparing a leaflet about anchoring in eelgrass. NGM refused to take part, then accused BORG of disagreeing with our own advice! If designation does occur, and we shall know later this year, DWT will be a major player in how it is implemented.

oldharry

Visit site

Its a geological survey of the extent of the Colter oilfield which was first found in 1986. Latest results suggests there is a substantial oil reserve. The rig has been granted an extension of its licence to drill on this site to the intense fury of the local conservationists. NGM predicted that it would devastate Poole Bay when it blows out and leaks oil everywhere. Interesting idea as it is doing a geological survey and will not be bringing hydrocarbons to the surface!

D

Deleted member 36384

It is drilling a well into the reservoir and it might core across the reservoir and will very likely run logs across the reservoir zone. If hydrocarbons are present then they could be brought to the surface in the core or the logging tools. If the reservoir is over pressured then there is a risk of an uncontrolled flow at surface. If this happens, then it is highly probable that a blow out prevented will close on the well long before hydrocarbons reach the surface. It has been known that rigs fail to shut the blow out preventer and a blow out occurs. The risk is there, they are drilling an appraisal well to determine the extent of an existing field, or if it is a new area it will be an exploration well. I doubt that it is anything to worry about such are the controls required to get the permit to drill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boathook

Visit site
It is drilling a well into the reservoir and it might core across the reservoir and will very likely run logs across the reservoir zone. If hydrocarbons are present then they could be brought to the surface in the core or the logging tools. If the reservoir is over pressured then there is a risk of an uncontrolled flow at surface. If this happens, then it is highly probable that a blow out prevented will close on the well long before hydrocarbons reach the surface. It has been known that rigs fail to shut the blow out preventer and a blow out occurs. The risk is there, they are drilling an appraisal well to determine the extent of an existing field, or if it is a new area it will be an exploration well. I doubt that it is anything to worry about such are the controls required to get the permit to drill.

Been and gone. They were confirming bits about the Whych Farm field that is being pumped by directional drilling from within Poole Harbour. I was looking forward to sailing around the rig!

Boathook

Visit site

oldharry

Visit site

Seven Spades

Visit site
With today’s new of a heightened campaign for HPMZ’s would you please let us know what is the current situation at Studland?

Status
Not open for further replies.