Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I so do not want to sound dumb but I have just received my unit and I can not for the life of me work out how to access the SD card port. I can see hex bolts but do not think I should I be undoing them. Any help please.

The ... what? My old one certainly doesn't have an SD card port. I'll have a good look at the new one later.

pvb

Visit site
I have contacted the manufacturer and they have clearly stated that it does but im afraid NOT clearly told me how to access the slot. If it transpires they have have misled me I will be onto Paypal and get my money back.

Good luck with getting a refund. Did the listing you bought the item from clearly say it had an SD card slot for cartography?

jbees

Visit site
Trying to connect my Matsutec hp-33A to my Garmin GPSMAP 750 without success so far. I've checked all the obvious things...output set to AIS, input of gpsmap set to high speed, output of gps map not connected (so only one talker), ground of AIS bonded to -ve of gpsmap but nothing received. I disconnected the gpsmap and checked the output of the Matsutec and got the predicted voltage pulse between pin 3 green SD and pin 5 brown SG BUT pin 3 was -ve relative to pin 5!! I've checked and double checked but that is the way it is. Is it a faulty unit or could i just swap the connections round next time i'm aboard?

superheat6k

Visit site
Trying to connect my Matsutec hp-33A to my Garmin GPSMAP 750 without success so far. I've checked all the obvious things...output set to AIS, input of gpsmap set to high speed, output of gps map not connected (so only one talker), ground of AIS bonded to -ve of gpsmap but nothing received. I disconnected the gpsmap and checked the output of the Matsutec and got the predicted voltage pulse between pin 3 green SD and pin 5 brown SG BUT pin 3 was -ve relative to pin 5!! I've checked and double checked but that is the way it is. Is it a faulty unit or could i just swap the connections round next time i'm aboard?
The manual says Pin 3 SD is RX (Receive) and Pin 4 RD is TX (Transmit). However, I would expect the pulse to be Positive relative to the Gnd at Pin 5 SG.

Have you checked Pin 5 continuity to the -VE connection ? If this is correct then I would not reverse the connections.

But if Pin 3 has continuity to -VE then possibly an error in the wiring of the unit.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The manual says Pin 3 SD is RX (Receive) and Pin 4 RD is TX (Transmit).

A common misreading, and I fell for it too. Pin 3 is Tx on the HP-33A and Rx on the other device; Pin 4 is Rx on the HP-33A and Tx on the other device.

f6GxhQ0.png

Bi111ion

Visit site
Just as a general debugging tip if you have a USB to serial converter and a PC you can see which NMEA sentences your HP33A is putting out. If you are not happy viewing the output of a serial port another way there is a handy debug screen in OpenCPN that displays all the NMEA sentences. I say this as some devices only like certain NMEA sentences.