Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

JumbleDuck

Visit site
DHL fee, so it’s $358 + any Import / handling fees.

Definitely worth going with Amazon, then. I am relieved!

I’ve gone with Amazon as this also removes my liability as the “importer” if the comments on page 10 around it not being certified ever arise.

They now claim full CE certification. Even if that's not true, nobody would care unless they were scribbling all over the allocated frequencies, and there is no evidence that that's the case. Most of the FUD seems to have come from one mad Dutchman who threatened to report anyone using an HP-33A to the police, though it was hard to see how he could tell ...

Yngmar

Visit site
What would be the most cost effective way to convert the high speed NMEA0183 interface to (and from) NMEA2000?

The most cost effective way would be to fit a NMEA 2000 AIS transceiver in the first place. Matsutec doesn't make one and the price of the Matsutec + converter (e.g. NGW-1-AIS) exceeds the price of a cheap NMEA 2000 AIS transceiver (e.g. emtrak).

TSB240

Visit site
The most cost effective way would be to fit a NMEA 2000 AIS transceiver in the first place. Matsutec doesn't make one and the price of the Matsutec + converter (e.g. NGW-1-AIS) exceeds the price of a cheap NMEA 2000 AIS transceiver (e.g. emtrak).

I am not sure you are comparing apples with apples there. The Matsutec has a screen for displaying ais data, gps waypoints course to steer etc and so much more in the cockpit.

I thought the basic Emtrak transponder is just a black box.

It needs so much more to give the same useability and visibility in the cockpit that a Matsutec unit has built in.
People don't just buy the Matsutec HP 33A for the transponder function there is a cheaper Matsutec offering anyhow!

I would have thought that if the OP wants to connect to NMEA 2000 a simple add on bidirectional converter for around £100 would do the job Quark and Actisense come to mind.

The Quark would also allow Wifi connection and AIS data feed to Ipads phones etc.
https://www.quark-elec.com/product/...MIhdWhhrX03AIVDlXTCh0-sA84EAQYASABEgLKuPD_BwE

I would suggest this as a package with an HP33-A would be a very cost effective basic GPS AIS Wifi set up for any small boat owner entering into the market.

Yngmar

Visit site
I would have thought that if the OP wants to connect to NMEA 2000 a simple add on bidirectional converter for around £100 would do the job Quark and Actisense come to mind.

The Quark would also allow Wifi connection and AIS data feed to Ipads phones etc.
https://www.quark-elec.com/product/...MIhdWhhrX03AIVDlXTCh0-sA84EAQYASABEgLKuPD_BwE

I would suggest this as a package with an HP33-A would be a very cost effective basic GPS AIS Wifi set up for any small boat owner entering into the market.

That Quark device does not convert AIS between NMEA '83 and 2k. It clearly states so on the page you've linked. Most of them don't. The NGW-1-AIS I've mentioned above does, but is about £140. Also, as the protocols are quite different, conversion is not a straightforward process and somewhat lossy for certain sentences (i.e. where multiple sentences are available for the same items, or where bandwidth limitations apply on the '83 side). In most cases if you're buying new equipment anyways, it's better to pick the right protocol support instead of converting back and forth.

Edit: Oh, in many cases conversion isn't needed though, if whatever device you need the AIS on can receive the data directly on NMEA0183, e.g. if the plotter has an additional input for that, or the computer with USB-Serial/Wifi multiplexer. So that may be the most cost effective option, depending on the exact situation.

Last edited:

Leon Jennings

www.leonjenningsyachtsurveys.co.uk
I realise this but thank you. I have contacted the manufacturer and they have clearly stated that it does but im afraid NOT clearly told me how to access the slot. If it transpires they have have misled me I will be onto Paypal and get my money back.