Noord Hollandsche canal

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I've sort of started thinking about this summer's meander. I have a notion to explore the Noord Holland canal from Zaandam to Den Helder via Alkmaar.
Has anyone got any views on this?
Is it worth doing? Is it yacht friendly with our 1.8m draught & fixed mast? Are there many places to stop without going into marinas?
My books & charts are unavailable at present and only have the Vaarkart thing on my phone. Not very helpful as it's a bit vague about depths, it seems mainly aimed at motor boat users.

Old Harry

Visit site
I've sort of started thinking about this summer's meander. I have a notion to explore the Noord Holland canal from Zaandam to Den Helder via Alkmaar.
Is it worth doing? Is it yacht friendly with our 1.8m draught & fixed mast? Are there many places to stop without going into marinas?
My books & charts are unavailable at present and only have the Vaarkart thing on my phone. Not very helpful as it's a bit vague about depths, it seems mainly aimed at motor boat users.

I have done it north to south, no issues the tea coloured water does stain white grp, depth no issue we have similar draught, We stopped in Aalkmar, box`s are narrow , charts we used a AWNB over view chart let that worked ok, the only slight detour was the southern end we took a wrong turn. Zaandam is very nice & we should have possibly stopped but the whole trip was windy & we opted for shelted in the Haarlem Canal

Ali-alshira

Visit site
We did it quite a few years ago. We stopped in Alkmaar for a look around, but stayed overnight at a little boat club. I expect you can moor up to the banks, but we didn't do so, and I can't remember well enough to be positive (see below, though). It is pretty boring! We haven't done it again, because it is much more fun to sail through IJselmeer and visit the little towns like Hoorn, Edam, Enkhuizen etc.

I have just found that it is in our edition of the Stande Mastroute booklet. (Pub. ANWB and available in most NL boaty places) It marks quite a few mooring places where you can stay for free for up to 3 days. That booklet is exactly what you need for everything about it!

Dan Tribe

Visit site
We did it quite a few years ago. We stopped in Alkmaar for a look around, but stayed overnight at a little boat club. I expect you can moor up to the banks, but we didn't do so, and I can't remember well enough to be positive (see below, though). It is pretty boring! We haven't done it again, because it is much more fun to sail through IJselmeer and visit the little towns like Hoorn, Edam, Enkhuizen etc.

I have just found that it is in our edition of the Stande Mastroute booklet. (Pub. ANWB and available in most NL boaty places) It marks quite a few mooring places where you can stay for free for up to 3 days. That booklet is exactly what you need for everything about it!

Thanks. I think you've confirmed what I was starting to suspect.
We had a lovely trip around the Ilselmeer & Markermeer last year, getting as far as Sneek. Loved most of the towns although I doubt I'll want to re-visit Volendam.
We will probably do some more of that, perhaps going a bit further into Friesland, but 1.8m draught is not ideal for that.

johnalison

Visit site
We will probably do some more of that, perhaps going a bit further into Friesland, but 1.8m draught is not ideal for that.
It ought to be possible, and plenty of boats do it. I'm only 1.5m allegedly, though nearer 1.7 when I have tried to measure it. Most of the canals should be OK, but sometimes the moorings are a bit shallower at places like Leeuwarden and Dokkum, where there is a deeper pontoon reserved for sailing boats.. Both towns are worth seeing but I prefer the route via Harlingen and Franeker.

sailorman

Visit site
We did north to tgr notgswa cansl aboyt 20 yra ago. The qarwe is black tea coloured abd stauned the hull toosudea zandam i quaint. We lijet alkmar plus lots of old halftiles farm hoyses on the canal side once thriugg alkmar.

sailorman

Visit site

I have just found that it is in our edition of the Stande Mastroute booklet. (Pub. ANWB and available in most NL boaty places) It marks quite a few mooring places where you can stay for free for up to 3 days. That booklet is exactly what n ia aqyure bice .powwrp9ibts availavle .edam a short bike ride sway ib tge gewsa camp sutw beside the canal with shiees est on euro slot ti grt hit water

Willies

Visit site
Beware that the Coenbridge near Koog aan de Zaan is out of order. Max height 6.2 m. Repairs seem to take considerable time
There is an alternative route (bypass) through the Nauernasche Vaart, max depth said to be 2m and max height 18.3 m (electricity cables)
Alkmaar is a nice city to visit and in Den Helder I would advise to stay at the Willemsoord Harbour.
Happy sailing

sailorman

Visit site
no issues thst i recall. Qith 2.1m undeep qnd w6m sir sft. About 18 yrs ago with sn out of date pilot book

sailorman

Visit site
The pile box's in alkmaar are very narrow. We failed to get between them we ended moored up on the outer pilesof the box overnight depth not an issue neither wS 16m air draught

DanTribe

Visit site
We never got to do the Noord Holland canal in 2018. Instead, we went on to Friesland, got as far as Leeuwarden, loved every bit, even the shallow bits.
Hoping to go again this year but with 18 year old granddaughter, so probably only get as far as Gouda. We shall see.

johnalison

Visit site
We never got to do the Noord Holland canal in 2018. Instead, we went on to Friesland, got as far as Leeuwarden, loved every bit, even the shallow bits.
Hoping to go again this year but with 18 year old granddaughter, so probably only get as far as Gouda. We shall see.
Can I order some cheese?
The last time I went to Leeuwarden the ceramics museum had a display of erotic ceramics which was great fun but unfortunately only temporary. What made it even funnier was the sound of my wife tutting away beside me.

Tradewinds

Visit site
Can I order some cheese?
The last time I went to Leeuwarden the ceramics museum had a display of erotic ceramics which was great fun but unfortunately only temporary. What made it even funnier was the sound of my wife tutting away beside me.
You're an ex-doc. Don't you carry any of those little blue pills?:)

sailorman

Visit site
If you don't look out I'll post some photos to embarrass you.
north of
The pile box's in alkmaar are very narrow. We failed to get between them we ended moored up on the outer pilesof the box overnight depth not an issue neither wS 16m air draughting den holder we found the other rNks yacht club most welcoming g. This is a floating the edge of the ca Al with easy shoreside access
north of London.ar is very rural
With old farm houses lining the canal

sailorman

Visit site

Electronic charts are a free download via opecpnn