Underwater Lights

Switch

Visit site
Can anyone tell me if either MBY or MBM ever published an article comparing different under water lights? Unfortunately, you can not search for old copy on this site anymore which is a shame.

Thanks

longjohnsilver

Visit site
There's an article in Jan 2017 explaining how to fit them. Unfortunately they were not Lumishores and seem nowhere near as bright as the basic Lumishores I fitted a few years back.

Ian MacAulay

Visit site
I have been doing a lot od reading and research lately and every time I was lead back to lumishore... so I have just placed a order :) I will post pictures when installed later this month

Ian

LUNA

Visit site
I have fitted underwater lights to my last 2 previous boats.. obv loads out there and done some research.. i found these really good value for money
( £60 ish each ) .loads of people use in america on powerboats, i never had any problems after say 2 years use.. we have the targa now and thinking of doing something with that aswell underwater lights etc

they are powerfull and come in different colours .. 27 watt ea

Only downside is they have big 1/2 thread on back as made for drain plugs .. i didnt want to drill big holes so i just made some decent mounts up then sealed eveything with Epoxy resin.. easy! i put one each side ..

nx26RY1.jpg

uixWzlK.jpg

z43kDKB.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Lumishore is biggest output and best. Huge functionality if you want colours, rgbw, music sync, sweeping colours etc via DMX, sexy interface including Garmin screens, etc etc

Beware simple "lumen" claims. You want "fixture lumens", not the total of the nominal output of all the LEDs. Plenty of sales blurb frankly misleads about this. And ignore anyone who claims a Lux rating because that really is misleading. If you don't want uber bright then 10,000 total fixture lumens for whole transom is decent. 25k is pretty serious and a far bigger pool of light than in Luna's picture above. 100k ++ is lighting up the water like a boss = seriously big pool of light and will write over any neighbouring boats parked nearby. Not that you'd want to do that :D.
You can of course turn brightness up/down on lumishore controller
Personally I prefer the mushroom lights with 25mm hull hole not 70+mm. each to their own on that.

As a reference this is about 40k fixture lumens and the tender to right of pic is about 4K lumens...

tn_DSC_1049.jpg

These next two are over 100k lumens. Boat =24m so the light pool is reaching perhaps 50m. Arguably unnecessary but creates a nice big nighttime swimming pool or party atmosphere.

D931163C-1B67-4DD0-B1FA-68968B48BA2D.jpg

320BFDAD-B5CC-4A4A-8E91-FDD00909FB04.jpg

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
LOL, you don't want to know, P. Jfm doesn't have two 20+ kW gensets onboard for nothing!
The mortals among us should keep not only the genset with its battery charger, but also the mains running with their alternators, to feed those things... :D :p

PS: 'fiuaskme, I'd rather swim at night in complete darkness anyway, with neither any noise nor exhaust fumes! :encouragement:

Last edited:

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
I’ve had x 2 Ocean LED XFM Gen2 fitted to the new boat - very happy with them and the IOS app is good fun. All colours and lots of disco effects. Not sure I’d give Match 2 a run for its money but worth a look for really bright, very controllable and with a 12/24v option - although I run mine from the inverter.
https://www.oceanled.com/below-water/pro-series-3010-xfm-hd-gen2/

rMDYGiE.jpg

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
MBO did a feature on fitting Ocean LEDs in the June 17 issue. You can download the back issue if you have a log in.

jfm

Visit site
LOL, you don't want to know, P. Jfm doesn't have two 20+ kW gensets onboard for nothing!
The mortals among us should keep not only the genset with its battery charger, but also the mains running with their alternators, to feed those things... :D :p

PS: 'fiuaskme, I'd rather swim at night in complete darkness anyway, with neither any noise nor exhaust fumes! :encouragement:
Tee hee! Pete, mapism is rounding up. :D With all 12 lights at full brightness they pull around 60 amps at 24v. So that's fine for say 1.5 hours at anchor sans genset even with the other loads on the boat. Genset is on 7-8pm for making dinner and half an hour of airco before going to bed so it works fine. In practice I often flick some of them off rather than run all 12 and then the consumption is irrelevant. :encouragement:

benjenbav

Visit site
I’ve had x 2 Ocean LED XFM Gen2 fitted to the new boat - very happy with them and the IOS app is good fun. All colours and lots of disco effects. Not sure I’d give Match 2 a run for its money but worth a look for really bright, very controllable and with a 12/24v option - although I run mine from the inverter.
https://www.oceanled.com/below-water/pro-series-3010-xfm-hd-gen2/

rMDYGiE.jpg
Sorry for drift but, is there any chance of a few pix of your new boat, Nigel? I am quite drawn towards cats, and would be interested to see more and also read your initial thoughts having taken delivery.

Jfm’s lights look enough for a Rihanna stage show, never mind having her music on the sound system. Outstanding!!!

rafiki_

Visit site
Sorry for drift but, is there any chance of a few pix of your new boat, Nigel? I am quite drawn towards cats, and would be interested to see more and also read your initial thoughts having taken delivery.

Jfm’s lights look enough for a Rihanna stage show, never mind having her music on the sound system. Outstanding!!!
+1. A sailing Cat is something in my future wish list.

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk

Will do, it’ll more likely be a video - (which I’m working on now the weather is a little dull).