River restaurant reviews

No Regrets

Visit site
Nell Gwynns chinese restaurant in Windsor.
Unassuming little place hidden away in a side street by the Castle, been there several times always tasty food and friendly service though usually pretty much empty when we've been there.

After your recommendations, we have been here quite a few times!

The food is limited (No S+S Balls for example!?) but tasty, as you say, and unusually an 'All you can eat' for not very much money, offering nice freshly cooked stuff until you burst.

Good value, despite rather basic choice. Scruffy decor, but adds to the 'Genuine Value' appeal. They could spend £10k brightening it up, but I wouldn't want to pay for it! :p

Actionmat

Visit site
That's the one.....or in this case zero :disgust:

Blimey! No Regrets must have a cast iron constitution. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near a restaurant with anything less than a 4 hygiene rating. Pump outs are few and far between on the Thames and I've only got an 80ltr tank:disgust:

No Regrets, consider yourself lucky that those S+S balls were off the menu!

Ps. Did you ever push in front of dogsbody in the lock cut? :D

Last edited:

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
ate out a few times on our recent holiday cruise

Peking Inn at Cookham
http://www.pekinginncookham.co.uk/

Very good quality (even better then when we last went regually a few years back). We had the basic set menu, which was £20 each for mixed starters, crispy duck (very nice and enough for 4 plump pancakes each) and 2 main courses, veg side dish and rice.

The Partridge in Wallingford
http://www.partridgeinnwallingford.co.uk/

a great restaurant if you really appreciate fresh seasonal ingredients cooked by a passionate chef. He personally comes out to check that everything is okay with your meal. We had the pre theatre meal which was great value at £13 for 2 courses.

Actionmat

Visit site
The Perch & Pike. New owners so tested them for a lunch.

£12.75p bought me a mini Hamburger (really miniscule) and 8 Chips.
How were your 8 chips presented? Little flower pot, mini galvanised bucket, or something else?
I paid 9.95 for a burger and chips at The Rising Sun in Hurley. No silly presentation, plenty of food for the money and a decent pint served in a proper mug with a handle on it
:encouragement:

byron

RIP
Visit site
How were your 8 chips presented? Little flower pot, mini galvanised bucket, or something else?
I paid 9.95 for a burger and chips at The Rising Sun in Hurley. No silly presentation, plenty of food for the money and a decent pint served in a proper mug with a handle on it
:encouragement:
The Chips came in a soppy little pot. I'm still trying to get 'MUG' off my Forehead. The Burger wasn't even big enough to be called a Children's Portion.

Actionmat

Visit site
Abingdon - Majliss Indian Restaurant.

I love Indian food, but rarely bother on the river, because outside of the borough of Hounslow it usually disappoints.

However, I had a fantastic meal in Abingdon tonight, about 10mins walk from the bridge. Highly recommended.
If you think the Indian in Wallingford is good(I don't), this is how it should be done.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...ews-Majliss-Abingdon_Oxfordshire_England.html

Time Out

Visit site
You must be following my brother. He had a Thai in Abingdon tonight together with power cut. On a birchood 400 with a million paddle boards strapped to the back.

Time Out

Visit site
You mean he tried to sell it to you ... If he tries to sell you a paddle board, he can't with full title as I own half of it !

Enjoy.

No Regrets

Visit site
Blimey! No Regrets must have a cast iron constitution. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near a restaurant with anything less than a 4 hygiene rating. Pump outs are few and far between on the Thames and I've only got an 80ltr tank:disgust:

No Regrets, consider yourself lucky that those S+S balls were off the menu!

Ps. Did you ever push in front of dogsbody in the lock cut? :D

Dogsbody was also a major contributory factor, I must admit...

However, the food has never let us down in vomit terms, it was just a little average last time. The premises does need revamping to the tune of at least £8K IMHO so we are not frequenting unless a little desperate these days.

It's not high-end by any means, but good cheap fun. Assuming you survive! :encouragement:

stingrayfan

Visit site
From our trips this summer:

Thames Court, Shepperton - good for a pint, skip the food (very average). Only pub I've ever been to where people queue in a line for the bar!
Red Lion, Shepperton - new jetty but you have to cross the busy road for a beer. Food good though.
Swan / Anglers, Walton - both good. Mooring out front. Swan has a burger bar thing in the beer garden, if that's your thing
Phoenix, Sunbury - nice Thai food. Small 25ft mooring - we're tying up alongside if you're hogging it though!
Three Horseshoes, Laleham - moor up opp the boatyard and walk. 5 mins walk to a nice gastropub
Swan, Staines - usually an easy moor, food pretty good, friendly staff. Only riverside pub on this stretch?
Bells of Ouzeley, nr Windsor - avoid, even for a pint. Terrible. Should be ringing the bell on this place!
Belleview Cafe, Harleyford Marina - wow, what a find. If weather's good, go seek for an early evening meal!
Slug & Lettuce, Marlow - average food, clueless staff. (we had the kids - and needed something quick)
Palmer Arms, Dorney - good atmos and food, friendly staff, could do with a refurb though.
Bridge Hotel, Chertsey - carvery ok for kids but swerve the breakfast
Kingfisher, Chertsey - good food and atmos.
oh - and Bengal Dynasty, Chertsey town centre - some of the nicest Indian food I've had a long while.

Hope helpful!

Last edited:

Oz23

Visit site
From our trips this summer:

Thames Court, Shepperton - good for a pint, skip the food (very average). Only pub I've ever been to where people queue in a line for the bar!
Red Lion, Shepperton - new jetty but you have to cross the busy road for a beer. Food good though.
Swan / Anglers, Walton - both good. Mooring out front. Swan has a burger bar thing in the beer garden, if that's your thing
Phoenix, Sunbury - nice Thai food. Small 25ft mooring - we're tying up alongside if you're hogging it though!
Three Horseshoes, Laleham - moor up opp the boatyard and walk. 5 mins walk to a nice gastropub
Swan, Staines - usually an easy moor, food pretty good, friendly staff. Only riverside pub on this stretch?
Bells of Ouzeley, nr Windsor - avoid, even for a pint. Terrible. Should be ringing the bell on this place!
Belleview Cafe, Harleyford Marina - wow, what a find. If weather's good, go seek for an early evening meal!
Slug & Lettuce, Marlow - average food, clueless staff. (we had the kids - and needed something quick)
Palmer Arms, Dorney - good atmos and food, friendly staff, could do with a refurb though.
Bridge Hotel, Chertsey - carvery ok for kids but swerve the breakfast
Kingfisher, Chertsey - good food and atmos.
oh - and Bengal Dynasty, Chertsey town centre - some of the nicest Indian food I've had a long while.

Hope helpful!

In Staines, just opposite of Swan there is also Slug and Lettuce, good for drinks, didn't try the food much. There is Jimmy's next to S&L, good Asian fusion buffet for cheap prices. All on riverside with few slots of mooring right in front.

Three Horse Shoes Laleham above is absolutely one of the best pubs in the region. They have pub and restaurant food, not very cheap but reasonable. I take people there often for business dinners. Strongly recommended. As mentioned, not on the river but walkable.