Urgent issue with Torqeedo 1003S, hope you can help!

Beneteau343

Visit site
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a Torqeedo 1003S which I use occasionally on my 8ft inflatable dinghy. A peculiar issue has popped up where the motor seems to rev up and down as usual, but the prop spins slowly, and at a constant speed. It spins fast enough to probably move me in no tide or breeze, but couldn't move me against a 9 knot head wind last night. Also, as it revs, it's at a higher pitch, not as throaty as when it's operating properly.

I haven't taken the prop off yet to see if it's the shear pin, but I've never had an impact before, or had it wrapped in seaweed. There does seem to be a bit of wiggle between the black bulb and the fin shaft. Is that normal?

Has this happened to any other Torqeedo owners before? Normally I wouldn't stress about it and just ship it to a service center, but I'm in a position now where I'm dependent on it to get to my boat and absolutely need a working motor by next Thursday. I'm hoping there's an easy fix.

Thank you in advance!

Alex

William_H

Visit site
Certainly sounds like slippage between the prop and the shaft. Or perhaps somewhere else up the drive chain. Try removing the prop and it might become obvious. Sorry don't actually know the Torquedo at all. olewill

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Sounds like the shear pin. If so you may have trouble undoing the prop nut. You may need to run the motor against the spanner. I intend to replace the pin on mine with a non shearing one, at least a damaged prop will be more use than a good one with a sheared pin !

ningcompoop

Visit site
There's a previous thread here:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?418476-Torqueedo-1003S-Prop-removal/page3
relating to issues with shear pins; the last couple of posts from Davidsmn give his advice with regards to removing prop when the pin is sheared. I got my new Torqeedo from Seamark Nunn, no problems to date (I've only ran it twice!), but found them very helpful, you could always try giving them a ring. I'd also suggest emailing the Torqeedo service dept: at service@torqeedo.com, I had (ultimately, terminal) issues with an earlier model and one of their engineers was happy to advise me, although it may take a few days to get a response.

dartmoor

Visit site
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a Torqeedo 1003S which I use occasionally on my 8ft inflatable dinghy. A peculiar issue has popped up where the motor seems to rev up and down as usual, but the prop spins slowly, and at a constant speed. It spins fast enough to probably move me in no tide or breeze, but couldn't move me against a 9 knot head wind last night. Also, as it revs, it's at a higher pitch, not as throaty as when it's operating properly.

I haven't taken the prop off yet to see if it's the shear pin, but I've never had an impact before, or had it wrapped in seaweed. There does seem to be a bit of wiggle between the black bulb and the fin shaft. Is that normal?

Has this happened to any other Torqeedo owners before? Normally I wouldn't stress about it and just ship it to a service center, but I'm in a position now where I'm dependent on it to get to my boat and absolutely need a working motor by next Thursday. I'm hoping there's an easy fix.

Thank you in advance!

Alex

Yes, sounds like shear pin. When I had a Torqeedo 1003, seaweed broke mine too! The shear pin is very feeble indeed, and a good clump of weed will break it. Prop a complete pain to remove as the other post says.

I guess the weakness of the shear pin is on purpose though as the electric motor may be vulnerable to damage under a load which it can't cope with. Have to say, a design flaw for any outboard NOT to cope with a bit of weed. My Tohatsu 2.5hp met a huge clump last weekend and totally demolished it - and that's just 2.5HP. The Torqeedo is supposed to be 4HP?

VicS

Visit site
Yes, sounds like shear pin. When I had a Torqeedo 1003, seaweed broke mine too! The shear pin is very feeble indeed, and a good clump of weed will break it. Prop a complete pain to remove as the other post says.

I guess the weakness of the shear pin is on purpose though as the electric motor may be vulnerable to damage under a load which it can't cope with. Have to say, a design flaw for any outboard NOT to cope with a bit of weed. My Tohatsu 2.5hp met a huge clump last weekend and totally demolished it - and that's just 2.5HP. The Torqeedo is supposed to be 4HP?
There's the catch. It isn't.

If you read the tech spec you will find that it consumes 1000 watts of electrical power and delivers 480watts of propulsive power .......... approx 0.64 Hp

They confuse you by claiming that it has the same thrust, as a 4hp petrol outboard

The power of a petrol outboard is the power measured, in accordance with ICOMIA 28/83 (q.v.), at the propshaft. Your 2.5hp Tohatsu delivers 2.5 Hp at the propshaft. Your Torqeedo 1003 only delivers 0.64 hp!

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site

If you read the tech spec you will find that it consumes 1000 watts of electrical power and delivers 480watts of propulsive power .......... approx 0.64 Hp

They confuse you by claiming that it has the same thrust, as a 4hp petrol outboard

The power of a petrol outboard is the power measured, in accordance with ICOMIA 28/83 (q.v.), at the propshaft. Your 2.5hp Tohatsu delivers 2.5 Hp at the propshaft. Your Torqeedo 1003 only delivers 0.64 hp!

Torqeedo suggest that the 1003 has thrust broadly comparable with a 3hp petrol outboard. As with all "standards", there's some wriggle room in ICOMIA 28/83 for manufacturers to massage the numbers, but a 2.5hp outboard should certainly deliver at least 2hp at the propshaft. I have a Torqeedo 1003 and it certainly seems to have a fair bit of thrust, although subjectively I'd equate it to say a 1.5hp petrol outboard.

dartmoor

Visit site

Ah, no wonder it got defeated by weed at 0.64HP - seaweed 1, Torqeedo 0