Forum gathering Friday 30th November - Sunday 2nd December

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Following on from a bit of a conflict of opinion with the forum moderators we are changing our plans a little. We will still be at Cowes over this weekend and would love to meet up / have a drink but we will not be organising any specific events. Sorry for this. If you email me via my profile I will see if I can arrange moorings close to each other

Some forum regulars and I were in a pub the other week. They were enjoying a couple of pints, I was on my usual mineral water so as not to spoil the early morning jog in few hours, the tuna salad still laying heavy in my stomach would hopefully have settled by then.

We have had a couple of really good Forum Pub gatherings this year. Surprisingly for an internet forum I can't think of anyone I've met who I haven't enjoyed their company, but then I suppose I haven't had to endure meeting myself :)

Anyway, we talked about having a meet up which included boats rather than just arriving at a pub. Feeling guilty for not having contributed anything to the meetings thus far other than my fine wit and Olympian physique I volunteered to do the legwork.

So here's my Idea:

Friday 30th November: Arrive Cowes Yacht haven. A few drinks and bite to eat together on an informal basis. I'll see if the Yacht haven fancy doing us a bit of a deal on the moorings. Easy walk ashore, good shore side facilities if you are on a smaller boat.

Saturday 1st December: During the day I will organise something. Possibly a run up to the Folly for lunch or else something around Cowes. In the evening a sit down meal together. No doubt finishing off the evening on board friends boats.

Sunday: A late rise then possibly a spot of lunch before retiring from whence we came.

Central to the Solent, no tidal restraints, walk ashore moorings with shore power (for your fan heater or electric blanket), a chance to put faces to names and not too many other people to get in the way compared to the Summer crush. If you can only make the Saturday night that's fine, I'll try to sort out a nightly rate as well as a 2 night deal.

There might be a few other bits thrown in along the way.

So, anyone up for it ?

Henry :)

Last edited:

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
Hi Henry - Both Babs and myself would like to attend - The Only fly in the ointment is we need to be back to Haslar for Saturday evening by 19.00 for the HYC Christmas Bash which finishes @ 23.30 :D I reckon we can be back by midnight to continue with you guys @ Cowes Yacht Haven I will be driving so obviously not drinking during that day or evening ;)

If enough Forumites wish to attend Ben has some tables still available in CYH for the xmas parties that are on either Friday or Saturday evening. It is £30 a ticket or £270.00 for a table of ten working on the economy off scale principal :p

Altenativelly the usual places will be great assuming we do not fill both basins with boats ;)

Also be a good opportunity for VolvoPaul if he is around to do some work for the forum members whilst we are all together @ best mates rates working on the economy off scale formula :D:D:D

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
That weekend is Sharon's birthday so I'm trying to top you and have her cater for 30 onboard ;)

I would be good to see you there.

I need an idea of numbers then I'll start to fill in the gaps.

Pinnacle

Visit site
That weekend is Sharon's birthday so I'm trying to top you and have her cater for 30 onboard ;)

I would be good to see you there.

I need an idea of numbers then I'll start to fill in the gaps.

Henry

Are rag-n-stick boats invited?:eek:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry

Are rag-n-stick boats invited?:eek:

Most definitely. We all drink out of the same cup and on the forum everyone is the same.

A chance for you to have a nosy and a cup of tea on a motorboat and for us to do thee same on a wind powered boat :)

I'm hoping we get a diverse spread. Cowes is central and so not too great a distance. I'm going to try and get people mixing. Cowes Yacht haven has free wi-fi so if you people are too ugly in the flesh you can still post on the forum :)

Email me through my profile if you want to book on. No cost other than your mooring fee and food / drink as consumed !

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Great idea

Some forum regulars and I were in a pub the other week. They were enjoying a couple of pints, I was on my usual mineral water so as not to spoil the early morning jog in few hours, the tuna salad still laying heavy in my stomach would hopefully have settled by then.

We have had a couple of really good Forum Pub gatherings this year. Surprisingly for an internet forum I can't think of anyone I've met who I haven't enjoyed their company, but then I suppose I haven't had to endure meeting myself :)

Anyway, we talked about having a meet up which included boats rather than just arriving at a pub. Feeling guilty for not having contributed anything to the meetings thus far other than my fine wit and Olympian physique I volunteered to do the legwork.

So here's my Idea:

Friday 30th November: Arrive Cowes Yacht haven. A few drinks and bite to eat together on an informal basis. I'll see if the Yacht haven fancy doing us a bit of a deal on the moorings. Easy walk ashore, good shore side facilities if you are on a smaller boat.

Saturday 1st December: During the day I will organise something. Possibly a run up to the Folly for lunch or else something around Cowes. In the evening a sit down meal together. No doubt finishing off the evening on board friends boats.

Sunday: A late rise then possibly a spot of lunch before retiring from whence we came.

Central to the Solent, no tidal restraints, walk ashore moorings with shore power (for your fan heater or electric blanket), a chance to put faces to names and not too many other people to get in the way compared to the Summer crush. If you can only make the Saturday night that's fine, I'll try to sort out a nightly rate as well as a 2 night deal.

There might be a few other bits thrown in along the way.

So, anyone up for it ?

Hi Henry
We will be away but wanted to support and endorse the idea. we have shifted from Haslar to swanwick now but would love to meet some mobo forumites another time. Have a good one
Stuart

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry - Is it worth putting a quick note in the rag-n-sticks forum directing them to this article just in case they do not have a nose in our section ;)

No sooner said than done. Trying to get a sticky slapped on it so people see it.

I presume sailors eat stuff other than corned beef ?

Back at the marina we all break bread together, my neighbours boat has a big pole sticking out of the roof :)

Henry

oGaryo

Visit site
Count us in please Henry. Will be me and Debs hopefully, I'll run it by her tonight, and possibly Caley too. Caley can drive the boat now he's got his PB2, essential he does thinking about it as I'll have a glass of vino in one hand and a bite to eat in the other:)

cheers Gary

henryf

www.911virgin.com
can you arrange to have the waves parted between Soton and Cowes if the rough weather comes out to play too buddy :D

For you Gary anything !

An ideal trip for anyone who has recently acquired a new boat...........

If the crossing gets too bad you could always hand over the controls to the only member of the family who is actually qualified to drive the boat ;)

henryf

www.911virgin.com
A little update:

Cowes Yacht Haven have confirmed they will allocate us an area, probably in the North Basin. Rates are £1.94 per metre overnight including shower, toilet, waste disposal and a smile. Electricity is £3.06 per night.

All the berths will be walk ashore, if you have mobility issues I will ensure you are moored as close to the access ramp as possible. The marina facilities are wheelchair accessible.

I am discussing numbers so the sooner you can let me know (email via my profile) the better to make sure we all stay together and can mingle.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Yes, I will be on my own, so I will leave the mother-ship at East Cowes and sedately tootle up the river in SpottyPup.
Perhaps we could have tender bumper car fun in the basin ?

You will be marked down a point for not arriving in this mythical boat of yours but I will have a word with the organising committee, or at least the sub committee which reports to the the organising committee to have them recognise your turning up under the circumstances.

You're always welcome to tie up by us :)

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
Yes, I will be on my own, so I will leave the mother-ship at East Cowes and sedately tootle up the river in SpottyPup.
Perhaps we could have tender bumper car fun in the basin ?

Hi Roy,

This should be most amusing to watch you coming down the medina river - as i assume you will be offsetting your carbon footprint you will most probably be rowing to CYH and using your crutches as ores to keep the weight down so no additional ores in tow :D or possibly motoring with the putt putt engine :confused:
Anyhow best be sure and come down with a slack tide - we don't want to see you falling in now do we :rolleyes:

No doubt Henry will take some video footage off you disembarking from your vessel unaided to put on the forum together with the other footage he will obviously be editing from the weekend.

Just be aware Henry can draw his camcorder as quick as a gunslinger and before you know it you are on youtube :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.