Raspberry Pi - ers, turbo?

agurney

agurney.com
I had OpenCPN running satisfactorily over the weekend on my my pi using the latest Debian image :)

I intend putting up a web page that describes the process, but that will be a few weeks away due to other commitments, however, in a nutshell:

- I had to tweak some of the OpenCPN code and recompile it (see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/chart-problems-on-raspberry-pi-86528.html#post1012681 )

- opencpn.conf MEMCacheLimit=30 NCacheLimit=10

- doesn't work with NOAA ENC charts

- overclocking set to medium (no/minimum overvoltage) was perfectly adequate

- changed the vector chart settings to Mariners standard because of some hiccups zooming out in standard mode (water showing green)

- no problems with chart quilting; I was using vector charts and Antares raster charts

- 'make package' creates a .deb, but it won't install and complains about the wrong architecture. I suspect it's because there's a line in the makefile that renames arm to armel, but this version of debian is armhf... I'm using 'make install', so it's not a high priority for me.

- I initially had a lot of trouble getting a GPS to talk to the Pi:
1.) the USB/Serial converter I was using was old and not supported; a newer cheap Chinese one from eBay sorted that out. (/dev/ttyUSB0 in OpenCPN)
2.) I also tried a GPIO serial/TTL converter. That worked as well (/dev/ttyAMA0 in OpenCPN)
3) I wasted a lot of time trying to get a Garmin eTrex to talk to the Pi.... until I discovered the eTrex only outputs NMEA at 4800baud but the Pi supports >= 9600.
4) I am using an old Garmin GPS48 with NMEA at 9600 baud and it's perfect via the serial/USB converter.
5) In future I'll probably use the GPIO connecter which frees up a USB port for a wifi dongle; the Pi doesn't seem to like multiple devices on USB hubs

I only encountered one problem with the system .. I don't recommend using a wireless mouse ... slide, bump, splash ... 'nuff said.

Conachair

Visit site
I had OpenCPN running satisfactorily over the weekend on my my pi using the latest Debian image :) .............

Brilliant! Failed with first attempt at a compile yesterday so will try git clone openCPN 3.1.802

New to linux so everything takes ages, BIG thanks!! :cool: :cool:

Slycat

Visit site
Great!

Very encouraging.

Use a laptop at the moment but it draws way too much power.

Does the buad issue mean that my Globalsat BU353 wont work as it 4800 buad?

agurney

agurney.com
Wow! Much impressed!

I wonder what to use as an enclosure for a Pi onboard a boat?

And what kind of display?

FWIW I use an old DAT tape box for the pi, and am considering moving up to a butter tub.

My screen is a 10" touchscreen monitor that runs off 12V and takes the Pi's HDMI; I've had OpenCPN running with the touchscreen using Windows, but have yet to get it working with the Pi. The photo shows it in operation; sorry about the glare, but we had a lot of sun over the weekend (and before anyone comments, the Pi is usually indoors and not sitting on top of the GPS antenna)

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
I quite like the idea of marrying your Raspberry to a Motorola Atrix lapdock:

8008525084_0c6a15070c.jpg

Conachair

Visit site
FWIW I use an old DAT tape box for the pi, and am considering moving up to a butter tub.

My screen is a 10" touchscreen monitor that runs off 12V and takes the Pi's HDMI; I've had OpenCPN running with the touchscreen using Windows, but have yet to get it working with the Pi. The photo shows it in operation; sorry about the glare, but we had a lot of sun over the weekend (and before anyone comments, the Pi is usually indoors and not sitting on top of the GPS antenna)

Wouldn't a margarine tub be better, bit lighter, a bit more Pi .. :)

Liking the display, was that off ebay? Draw much power?

I've had my nexus 7 controlling the laptop running pocketcloud. Hopefully could do the same with the pi.

agurney

agurney.com
Wouldn't a margarine tub be better, bit lighter, a bit more Pi .. :)

Liking the display, was that off ebay? Draw much power?

I've had my nexus 7 controlling the laptop running pocketcloud. Hopefully could do the same with the pi.

The display is quoted at <= 7W @ 12v
It's a lilliput OEM or clone that I bought on Alibaba; I've seen them since in the UK, and some even work off a 5V USB supply.

I don't know about pocketcloud, but VNC is fine; also easy to use XMINg and Putty on a laptop and export the display that way.

Conachair

Visit site
The display is quoted at <= 7W @ 12v
It's a lilliput OEM or clone that I bought on Alibaba; I've seen them since in the UK, and some even work off a 5V USB supply.
Ta, sounds pretty good. Think I might have enough to be getting on with for now though :cool:

I don't know about pocketcloud, but VNC is fine; also easy to use XMINg and Putty on a laptop and export the display that way.

Now that will really confuse them :)

CreakyDecks

Visit site
Actually, can be quite technical now and then so will look into all this...

You'll need to be :D
Is there one Linux command that makes any sense? Sudo, nano, vim, grep, ls, it's all gobbledeegook - worse than sailing nomenclature!
You spend an hour trying to figure something out, then an hour trying to interpret what the geeks on the internet are trying to tell you, then two minutes actually doing what you wanted to do, thinking "Why the hell didn't you just tell me that!" :D :rolleyes:

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
You'll need to be :D
Is there one Linux command that makes any sense? Sudo, nano, vim, grep, ls, it's all gobbledeegook - worse than sailing nomenclature!
You spend an hour trying to figure something out, then an hour trying to interpret what the geeks on the internet are trying to tell you, then two minutes actually doing what you wanted to do, thinking "Why the hell didn't you just tell me that!" :D :rolleyes:

Just type "man sudo" at the command line and read the manual. No point in asking questions when the answer is right under your nose. If you're thinking of doing something not covered by the manual you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Of course if you've got an exceptionally good knowledge of unix stuff, more power to you :D

CreakyDecks

Visit site
Just type "man sudo" at the command line and read the manual. No point in asking questions when the answer is right under your nose. If you're thinking of doing something not covered by the manual you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Of course if you've got an exceptionally good knowledge of unix stuff, more power to you :D

Thank you for that perfect example. I did (eventually) find the "man" command. The question that needs answering is why the "man" command isn't the "help" command!
If you've never used Linux before, presumably the type of user most likely to need help, which are you more likely to type?
help sudo or
man sudo

I think for 99% of the population the answer to that question is obvious.
I get the impression that Linux (Unix or whatever) goes out of its way NOT to use the same command that their hated DOS users would know. In much the same way as the French try to invent new words to stop their people speaking English, so they have ordinateurs and the rest of the world has computers! :rolleyes: