Sunday 9th in Cherbourg

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Is anybody thinking of sticking around and coming back on Monday 10th?

As we are planning a Friday night crossing, we are thinking about taking an extra day of rest. Whilst I enjoy JHR's company, it would be nice to meet up with others if anybody is around.

Does anybody know if the maritime museum, or any other attractions, are open on a Sunday? If its a hot day, where does the totty go to sun bathe?

Fantasie 19

Visit site

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Last time we stayed an extra day on the Sunday we hiked up to the fort which overlooks the town and harbour. It was shut!

Sans Bateau

Visit site
We are staying 'till Sunday but leaving around 4.00 pm so as to get the flood tide back up Bembridge early AM Monday.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Now wending my way back toward Cherbourg, time is on my side so can spend as long as I wish in the area. :D
Now in Camaret and will go and spend a few days up in Chateaulin in the hope that this high will give way to a decent SW'erly so I don't have to use buckets of Red to get back (not the sort that comes in cartons) :)

Angele

Visit site
Angele's plan is to do the return trip on the Monday.

Could be up for a joining you on a short hop to Alderney if the conditions are favourable.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Chubby/dabchick is staying on, SWMBO going back on the sun eve ferry to Pompey then will move off monday but may go Alderney or st V whichever the weather and herd instinct dictate!

Angele

Visit site
Which end of the Solent will you be aiming at? We will want to be at The Needles by 1730 to catch the last of the flood tide.

Home port is on the Hamble, and with high water Portsmouth at 19:00, I'd normally use the ebb to help me through the Eastern Solent. So, in through the forts, for about the same time.

Plan could be revised with a NW wind, though, to avoid beating up the last stretch. It is only neaps after all.

Topcat47

Visit site
Hoping it'll be favorable for an Alderney run on Sunday morning. Snark's a bit smaller (slower) than most boats attending so this may be a busted flush.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Hoping it'll be favorable for an Alderney run on Sunday morning. Snark's a bit smaller (slower) than most boats attending so this may be a busted flush.

With the tide, and hopefully benign weather, you should have no difficulty in making it to Alderney.

If going ashore to eat in the evening we will need dinghies because the water taxi stops at 1800, hence my suggestion for lunch. I dont really want to lug the rubber duck across the channel and back.

I would be happy to have a couple of boats rafting with us for the duration of a meal and drinks, who could then slip onto their own buoy for the night.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Home port is on the Hamble, and with high water Portsmouth at 19:00, I'd normally use the ebb to help me through the Eastern Solent. So, in through the forts, for about the same time.

Plan could be revised with a NW wind, though, to avoid beating up the last stretch. It is only neaps after all.

If you could see fit to head for the Needles and catch the flood, we could have a nice sail in company with boats of similar length (ie a race !!)

Angele

Visit site
If you could see fit to head for the Needles and catch the flood, we could have a nice sail in company with boats of similar length (ie a race !!)

Could do, although that would mean two early starts for us in three days - we aren't doing the southbound crossing until early on Saturday. Rather depends on how much sleep we get on Saturday night!

I'll warn you now that I'll cheat by putting the engine on if the windspeeed drops much below 10kts. Need to be in work early on Tuesday, so want to get home at a decent hour on Monday night.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Could do, although that would mean two early starts for us in three days - we aren't doing the southbound crossing until early on Saturday. Rather depends on how much sleep we get on Saturday night!

I'll warn you now that I'll cheat by putting the engine on if the windspeeed drops much below 10kts. Need to be in work early on Tuesday, so want to get home at a decent hour on Monday night.

No worries, we will just see how it goes. I plan on 6kts average, so will also be motoring if necessary.

Angele

Visit site
No worries, we will just see how it goes. I plan on 6kts average, so will also be motoring if necessary.

6 kts planning speed for me too, although I typically do around 6.5 under engine (at cruising revs).

I would like to aim to be at the Needles 2 hours before the tide turns (so at HW Portsmouth - 3 1/2 hours, or 15:30 BST). 60ish nm from Braye to Needles, so predicted passage time for that leg of 10 hours. Target departure time of 05:00 BST, knowing that I usually set off half an hour later than I plan to!

Should get me to Hamble before 18:30 - which is really my cut off time to put the boat away and still get home at a decent hour.

I haven't looked at tides from Cherbourg to Alderney (cos I haven't got an almanac to hand and I can't remember when they turn). I assume you have. If so, what are they telling us? Even though it is only neaps, I don't want to be motoring into a foul tide unnecessarily. (I know about the back eddy to Cap de la Hague, but it doesn't run for the full 12 hours, does it?)

Last edited:

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I haven't looked at tides from Cherbourg to Alderney (cos I haven't got an almanac to hand and I can't remember when they turn). I assume you have. If so, what are they telling us? Even though it is only neaps, I don't want to be motoring into a foul tide unnecessarily. (I know about the back eddy to Cap de la Hague, but it doesn't run for the full 12 hours, does it?)

All copied. I plan on 6kts but hope to do 6.5.

I havent looked in the armagnac, but looking at Maptech on my PC at home, the tide runs west round Cap de la Hague, turning back to the east between 1100 and 1130BST. As long as we are leaving Cherbourg not long after 0800 we will be fine, I believe.