2012 Cherbourg Scuttlebutt Cruise

Sailfree

Visit site
The Scuttlebutt Cherbourg trip has now been going for some 11yrs. This year it is arranged for the W/E 8/9th September. For the newbees and X channel virgins that are tempted, we always pick a weekend with Neap tides so that the effect of the tide and the risk of wind over tide creating bigger waves is minimised.

It has developed from a Saturday evening meal at the Cherbourg YC to also include a Saturday afternoon boat/pontoon gathering for drinks and nibbles, I usually start the larder with a selection of wines/beers and nibbles which others also contribute. We bring labels on which you write your forum name so you can put a face to a poster and introduce yourselves. Obviously the latter depends on the weather but we have had amazing sunny weather for the last few years and they have been a great success. I introduced the afternoon gathering to ensure the event was more inclusive and welcomed strangers otherwise there was a risk of just a few gatherings on individual boats of people that only knew each other. We have great support from the Cherbourg Marina and Magali Harmon has offered to arrange our afternoon gathering in the hall of the local sailing school if the weather is bad.

After the evening meal a few do collect on a few boats and drink well into and for some through the night!!

Most go on the Friday and return on the Sunday but a few do extended stays. I have negotiated discounted berthing at Cherbourg.

Last year there were a few lost souls on the Friday night and a couple joined my motley crew and we dined together at a restaurant. A number of boats arrive with just one or two on board. As a number do arrive for the Friday night I plan to introduce one extra option for this year. I intend to book a restaurant for say 10/12 people and my crew will host this table and a few from another boat can join us. If you are prepared to also host a small gathering at a restaurant for the Friday night please indicate this. Later I will co-ordinate the restaurant choice so that we don’t all go to the same one and overburden the chef! Please also let me know if you would like to join one of these Friday night mini-gatherings as a guest. Hopefully say 3 or 4 groups of say 8 to 12 people at different restaurants could work out well.

I will finally collate a spreadsheet and distribute it to participants, but only to their personal e mails. This includes such info as you are happy to give but usually includes VHF channel, mobile numbers , departure port and likely time so that participants, especially newbees, can contact others and sail in company. The spreadsheet also enables some last minute ship jumpers if anyone has problems with their own boat before departure. Before my time I believe there was also a weekend where most gravitated to and sailed in the bigger boats due to the weather.

We also run a thread for crew available and crew wanted as we try to fit in everyone who want to go - its also good if you want to do your 1st X channel with someone more experienced.

Fergus has already booked the YC. This year Fergus posted options and the majority favoured the cheaper €27 menu, Pate with onion chutney, Duck with Cider sauce and Choc Mousse +1/3 bottle of wine. There are Vegi options please let me know if you’re a Veggi. Please remember to bring cash € for the meal as the YC require us to settle the total bill not 20 or so individual bills. Last few years there have been 40-50 attendees!

If you intend to stock up with cheap wine for the winter months, Majestic Wines is now closed but I believe Normandie wines are still open in the town and has a good selection of mainly French wines and many country’s beers.

Final decision whether to sail if up to each skipper, no deposit so no loss if weather does turn bad.

Final few points :- in spite of some confusing advice spouted by some I berthed next to a boat in Paimpol this year that was fined €150 for no original ships registration docs so please take originals. We are advised by Magali that there is no problem with red diesels in France but others advise get white diesel for any spare cans carried on board. In 14 yrs of Xing channel I have never been stopped by the Douane but have witnessed a few others – it is rare though.

If people are interested add your names to this thread and also if you want to host or join a mini-group for the Friday night.

Feel free to add you comments if I have missed anything or not properly described the flavour of the event. Your comments will also help keep this thread live.

Final point - if any of your crew cannot get the Friday off work there is the option of joining us on the Saturday using the Portsmouth to Cherbourg fast cat. I have 2 of my crew doing this- one has done it every year and we now call him "Ferryboy"

Sailfree - 8 - also Host Boat for 10-12 group on Friday night Cherbourg Restaurant.
Fergus - ?
Galadriel ?
Wizard -2
Tidewaiter ?
Chubby - 2
Lady in Bed - 1
Talulah - 1 + spare berths available
Pinnacle ?
PRV 2
Whitelighter/RickP - 4
Mudisox
Topcat47 - 2
Babylon -2
Bedouin - 2
Seajet - ?
Angele - ?
HinewaisMan - ?
Cardo - 4
West Wittering - 2
Deuco02 -3
DJE - 2
CPD - 4?
PVR- ?
Krew2 -?
Moodynick - 2?
MasterofNone - 2?
BobE - 3 to 5?

Last edited:

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Sailfree - 8 - also Host Boat for 10-12 group on Friday night Cherbourg Restaurant.
Fergus - ?
Galadriel -2
Wizard -2
Tidewaiter ?
Chubby - 2
Lady in Bed - 1
Pinnacle ?
PRV 2
Whitelighter/RickP - 4
Mudisox
Topcat47 - 2
Babylon -2
Bedouin - 2
Seajet - ?
Angele - ?
HinewaisMan - ?
Cardo - 4
West Wittering - 2
Deuco02 -3
DJE - 2
CPD - 4?
PVR- ?
Krew2 -?
Moodynick - 2?
MasterofNone - 2?
BobE - 3 to 5?

Pinnacle

Visit site
Fergus - ?
Galadriel -2
Wizard -2
Tidewaiter ?
Chubby - 2
Lady in Bed - 1
Pinnacle - 3 to 4. TBC asap.
PRV 2
Whitelighter/RickP - 4
Mudisox
Topcat47 - 2
Babylon -2
Bedouin - 2
Seajet - ?
Angele - ?
HinewaisMan - ?
Cardo - 4
West Wittering - 2
Deuco02 -3
DJE - 2
CPD - 4?
PVR- ?
Krew2 -?
Moodynick - 2?
MasterofNone - 2?
BobE - 3 to 5?

Sailfree

Visit site
Thanks for updates.

Will be working late tonight so hopefully start 1st draft of spreadsheet.

Any other volunteers for hosting a restaurant meal on the Friday night? If you have no favourite Cherbourg restaurant I have a list of recommended ones from Magli.

chubby

www.flickr.com
I have the week before and after off work and am planning to leave the Portsmouth as early as weather allows in the week beginning 03/09/12 to get to Cherbourg by the thursday eve to be there for the fri and sat, to recover on the sunday then to return after mon 10/9 to get back home by the friday.

If the weather allows and I cross early I might go somewhere else on the other side before or after Cherbourg, eg St Vaast or Alderney and I usually go from portsmouth to somewhere like Yarmouth or Bembridge for a "shake down" before crossing.

I havent looked at any tides yet as it seems to be tempting fate so early.

If anyone wants to go in loose convoy feel free.

SWMBO may come out on the fastcat for the actual weekend!

chubby

www.flickr.com
Leaving here sunday for solent, over to cherbourg approx thursday. leave monday for st.vaast, then honfleur, fecamp, dieppe.
So any early arrivers like to organise a meal out thur and/or fri.

I might well be an early arriver so will look out for you, Simon keeling`s monday forecast on the main site suggests a high for the first week in sept so will head cross channel early in the week just in case it changes so may well be in cherbourg for the thurs, and have the wek after off so may well go to StV

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Sailfree, can you take us off the list please. We will be driving down to Grenoble moving our daughter for her year's study abroad. So two more seats available for dinner! Have a good trip.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I'd like to come if someone will take me. D/S and VHF. I would prefer to hitch a ride than take my own boat for a first crossing. Please DM me.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Sound plan, that's exactly what I did.

Sorry I cant offer you a place - we are going short handed on purpose, as long as the weather is suitable.

Nick cant take too many, he has a big hole in his boat, hes hoping for a port tack there and back.:D