hi there,

does anyone have any history on the company below

marina boats ltd
tything road
kinwarton
alcester b49 6hd
warwickshire
england

i bought one of their boats to do a full restore,i would need as many photos as i can get, and wouild be greatful if someone could show me how to repair the transom which is rotton,
someone before me cut the top of the transom to suit a short shaft engine
overtime the saltwater got into the inside the transom and cause the plywood to rot.
i have removed all the plywood inside the transom, leaving only the transom wall made of fibreglass,i do not want to use plywood again, is there a product that i couild use, like some liquid that i couild pour between the transom walls. soild enough to take outboard motor and hard enough to be able to screw into

looking forwards to hearing from someone soon

Lakesailor

Visit site
The problem with a liquid (like an epoxy resin) is that it won't have the beam strength that wood will have to distribute the forces to the hull.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Why not replace with good quality plywood? Marine grades,WBP (water and boil proof) will not rot. It is usually rain water that causes the damage, whereas seawater has much less effect. Capping the plywood edges to exclude rain will help to prolong it even further.

Boathook

Visit site
Nothing wrong with plywood as long as the ends are sealed well. If the ply is shaped to fit the gap epoxy resin could be poured in and the ply in afterwards forcing the resin to fill the gaps. Leave the top of the ply below the existing fibreglass and then fill this gap with resin sealing in the ply.

Jeepster

Visit site
hi there,

does anyone have any history on the company below

marina boats ltd
tything road
kinwarton
alcester b49 6hd
warwickshire
england

A good question...There is a lot of confusion over exactly who built some their boats...I have a 2 berth cabin cruiser that "looks" exactly like a Marina 16, which was certainly made by the above company at some time in the past, probably in the 1970's. Then I found out that a company called Hemming & Morris Ltd also made the exact same boats, but their version was called the Marina 16 GT. Whilst Marina Boats Ltd is obviously no longer trading, Hemming and Morris still are today, so I was able to speak to someone regarding their boats.
Apparently they stopped building them back in the early 1980's and today their business is purely in shop and office fittings.
To add even more confusion to the mix, a company called Arran also made the exact same boat in the past, but called the Arran 17!
My guess is the original design was by the above Marina Boats Ltd, then it was either copied by, or the moulds were taken over by, H&M and around the same time Arran copied the design or perhaps took it over from H&M.
Sorry I can't give you a more concise answer but thats as far as my research has progressed.
Here is a pic of my Marina 16?/16 GT?/Arran17???

jeepstermontagec2.jpg

And here is an Arran 17 I found on ebay:

arran17montage1c.jpg

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
Jeepster. Can you reduce the size of your image? At 1400 pixels it's stretching the post window?
Just makes following a thread easier.

Last edited:

jeff hemming

Visit site
hello my name is jeff hemming,i started marina boats in1958 the original name was hemming and morris.The morris refers to john morris my wifes cousin.we began in lincoln road olton solihull later moving to tything road in 1972.we changed the name to marina boats in1960 because the boats i designed we named the marina range.i still have brochures etc of your boat should you want to spaeak to me sent a telephone number to siamcourt@rocketmail.com i can then speak to you in person and send you some original brochures etc and help you with questions etc best regards jeff hemming

jeff hemming

Visit site
This is the history of marina boats......1958 to 1979 marina boats was started in 1958 by myself jeff hemming and john morris.we stated at the waterworks road edgbaston birmingham.the company was called hemming and morris limited the trade name for the company was marina boats.by 1960 the company was divided in two.hemming and morris shop fitters ltd and marina boats ltd.myself jeff saw to the boat side and john the shopfitting side.we built a factory at lincoln road olton solihull on the canal system in 1963.the shop fitting moved to the site in 1970.and still occupy some of the site today 2013.the boat side needed more space and in 1972 we moved to tything road alcester.most of our production was for export.by 1975 we took on the production of monark cresent sweden,producing part of the monark range of boats.shipping 6 boats a week to sweden.18to 21 foot boats.we distributed the cresent boats made in poland throughout the uk.we also took on production of 30 and 40 foot speed bots for al rodan marine of kuwait.by 1977 myself and john were joined in the company by monach cresent of sweden and alrodan marine of kuwait.by 1979 we sold the company to them. In 1979 having sold the copany i opened harrison robe selling mirror sliding wardrobes and offered a fitting out service to the building trade fitting show houses ot.i sold the company in1997 to retire and play lots of golf. Regarding your boat,i need to know which 14 foot model it is the continental model had a square nose at deck level and the other 14 foot has a high wrap around window screen and high decks.if you look at the transom to the right hand side to the centre at the bottom there should be a number in the fibre glass.which would indicate the year and month of production.i designed this boat with styling by ray inness.known within the motor trade .should you contact me i can give you more detailed information an post an original brochure featuring your boat.best regards jeff hemming formley marina boats.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Jeff. I would edit your email out of the message. It's an open forum and you could get scammed.
There is a Private Message facility on the forums that he could contact you on, or you contact him. Click on his user name and choose "Private message"

TinDesign only ever made 2 posts. The last one on 15th August last year.

Nice thought though. You should introduce yourself on the Motor Boat Forum on here. You'll find lots of people who've had (or have) your boats.

Last edited:

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
never understood the problem

Jeff. I would edit your email out of the message. It's an open forum and you could get scammed.
There is a Private Message facility on the forums that he could contact you on, or you contact him. Click on his user name and choose "Private message"

TinDesign only ever made 2 posts. The last one on 15th August last year.

Nice thought though. You should introduce yourself on the Motor Boat Forum on here. You'll find lots of people who've had (or have) your boats.

my email is all over the web

no probs yet

Dylan

Lakesailor

Visit site
So is mine. However I've received two emails recently from the e-mail addresses of friends but which contained links to "malicious URLs".
So there definitely is a risk in broadcasting it. Remember this site is trawled by robots. At the moment there are 321 members & 1137 guests on here.

demondunk

Visit site
Hi Does anyone have info on the models of Marina boats? I have one in need of rebuild and am struggling to find info.Any help would be fantastic.

Jeepster

Visit site
This is the history of marina boats......1958 to 1979 marina boats was started in 1958 by myself jeff hemming and john morris.we stated at the waterworks road edgbaston birmingham.the company was called hemming and morris limited the trade name for the company was marina boats.by 1960 the company was divided in two.hemming and morris shop fitters ltd and marina boats ltd.myself jeff saw to the boat side and john the shopfitting side.we built a factory at lincoln road olton solihull on the canal system in 1963.the shop fitting moved to the site in 1970.and still occupy some of the site today 2013.the boat side needed more space and in 1972 we moved to tything road alcester.most of our production was for export.by 1975 we took on the production of monark cresent sweden,producing part of the monark range of boats.shipping 6 boats a week to sweden.18to 21 foot boats.we distributed the cresent boats made in poland throughout the uk.we also took on production of 30 and 40 foot speed bots for al rodan marine of kuwait.by 1977 myself and john were joined in the company by monach cresent of sweden and alrodan marine of kuwait.by 1979 we sold the company to them. In 1979 having sold the copany i opened harrison robe selling mirror sliding wardrobes and offered a fitting out service to the building trade fitting show houses ot.i sold the company in1997 to retire and play lots of golf. Regarding your boat,i need to know which 14 foot model it is the continental model had a square nose at deck level and the other 14 foot has a high wrap around window screen and high decks.if you look at the transom to the right hand side to the centre at the bottom there should be a number in the fibre glass.which would indicate the year and month of production.i designed this boat with styling by ray inness.known within the motor trade .should you contact me i can give you more detailed information an post an original brochure featuring your boat.best regards jeff hemming formley marina boats.

Thanks for your concise reply Jeff! :) I have just sent you an email.

VincentR53

Visit site
I realise this is an old thread now but I just wanted to let everyone know that if they need information about any Marina boat then they can find it on my Marina Boats Ltd page on Facebook, along with a detailed history of the company: Log in or sign up to view

So it’s an even older thread now but i hope you read this en you can help me anyway. The Facebook page doesn’t exist anymore says my Facebook but I really want some info about my marina 14. Could you help me with this? I’ve been looking for a year now en just can’t find another one. Let aside information.

Giblets

Visit site
Have you actually done a Google Images search? There are quite a few of them returned with a fair amount of pictures which may be of use.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
So it’s an even older thread now but i hope you read this en you can help me anyway. The Facebook page doesn’t exist anymore says my Facebook but I really want some info about my marina 14. Could you help me with this? I’ve been looking for a year now en just can’t find another one. Let aside information.

I would start a new thread on the Mobo forum, and include the specific info that you are looking for. This old thread on a sailing part of the forums is not the best place to be for the info you require.