Well thats a result

Latestarter1

Visit site
Please please tell me you are not going to put an electric motor in it!

Turks of Cookham built some dinky and not particularly pretty slipper launches for day hire, a few had electric motors in them, yuk.

Local resident who purchased George Formby's place wanted to to use one of these little Turks slippers to commute across the river. We took the electric motor out and fitted a Stuart P55, however engine always ran too cold. My solution, saw the builder throwing out small galvanised loft tank so plumbed the tank into the boat and engine ran closed curcuit. Little slipper burbled up and down the river for about twenty years.

What length is your slipper going to be?

Good luck

watson1959

Visit site

Cuchie should build a Marine Homage to the various craft along the Thames, with sails, oars and disel as fallback to the steam engine he was planning.....like a floating CuchieCuchieBangBang

I still dont see where he's going to put the bog and fridge!

Forbsie

Visit site
err, before you plank up, is it worth thinking about limber holes ? Or are you going for sealed compartments and unsinkability ? :)

And if you want some closed cell foam to line it, then OldBilbo has got about 500 cubic metres in various thicknesses.

I don't suppose he would have 2 x 8' x 2' x 2' good enough for a raft?

Captain Coochie

Visit site

Turks of Cookham built some dinky and not particularly pretty slipper launches for day hire, a few had electric motors in them, yuk.

Local resident who purchased George Formby's place wanted to to use one of these little Turks slippers to commute across the river. We took the electric motor out and fitted a Stuart P55, however engine always ran too cold. My solution, saw the builder throwing out small galvanised loft tank so plumbed the tank into the boat and engine ran closed curcuit. Little slipper burbled up and down the river for about twenty years.

What length is your slipper going to be?

Good luck

I quite like the electric motors as they are so quiet but this one has the option of an outboard hidden behind the rear seats or an inboard in the same place .
The plans i have are for an 18ft Henley slipper launch by Selway Fisher . There was a bit of confusion at the start as i bought the plans about five years ago and couldnt remember what ones i had bought . The spec mentioned 20 - 22ft but thats been cleared up as a mistake on the spec and its the 18 i have .

Latestarter1

Visit site
Took a look at Selway Fisher design stuff, very difficult to get decent freeboard and slipper stern on vessel that short, however they do seem to have carried it off pretty well.

For such a nice little puddle jumper electric motor would be fine.

Took a look at some of the longer designs and one had vertical stem just like the John Hobbs boats, but the picture sadly showed it as having a raked stem.

Good luck

Captain Coochie

Visit site
We got all the hull panels cut today and couldnt resist doing a mock up :)

001-109.jpg

We really do need to get the strong back made now so we can get everything square and true before we start to put the hull together properly .

Captain Coochie

Visit site
A little bit more of a play just to see if everything fits .

001-110.jpg

Remember these are just templates made out of cheap ply so we dont make mistakes on the Lloyds approved marine ply and we wont be holding it together with dry wall screws :D

Andy is clearing some space in his workshop for the build so i'm back in my workshop getting the strong back made .

I have some 9x2 in stock so im ripping that down the middle on my Wadkin saw :cool:

004-49.jpg

Facing and edging it on my wadkin surfacer :cool:

005-30.jpg

and then thicknessing it on my crappy old axminster because my power supply isnt man enough for the new wadkin thicknesser :(

006-24.jpg

I'm going to scarf three of these together to give us our strong back .

sarabande

Visit site
is that thicknesser the one you had all the probs with the new motor and supply ? Bit of a b*gger to not be able to use that.

Please let me know when you are next out of the workshop. I am looking for a decent saw..... ;)

Captain Coochie

Visit site
The very same one . Ive had the machine totally overhauled so i dont mind waiting for a new supply before i use it . The Axminster thicknesser isnt all that bad to be honest . Its just not a Wadkin .

As for the saw , you might be able to get to it but you will never get it out :D

Captain Coochie

Visit site
We got her braced up today ready for the ply

001-112.jpg

002-93.jpg

003-60.jpg

We are going to do a bit of tweaking tomorrow but its all there and everything fits so we are now ready for the real thing .
I think it was well worth building it out of cheap ply first so we can get our heads around any problems and at the end of the day we now have templates to work to and a strong back already made for us to work on .

Captain Coochie

Visit site
We came to a bit of a stop on Sunday as we realised we need to decide what we are going to use to power it . An outboard seems to be the best option as it can be hidden inside the boat and there is the option of electric , 2 stroke and 4 stroke .
The plans give an option of a short "bay" for an outboard or a long tunnel .
Ive emailed the architect about this as i have two sets of drawings giving both options but dont really understand why i have the two options .
Any opinions ?