Birmingham Navy Sells Up

Madhatter

wp.me
Perhaps he has started painting it. He did say the price would adjusted accordingly if painting started.

May have been the case @ the 1850 price tag .I asked a string of relevant questions about sail,rigging,sheets and halyards as well as more detail on the engine etc etc , this was the reply:-

"headroom 5f 10 in, dfraf 4 f one halyard one bow is realeased lowering mass, dunno he engine model is poor cold saring
has no pre hea mob no 07581 105300 160 m delivery only if BIN price is achieved "

He was a trifle offended when I offered a £1000 because he could not be bothered to answer my questions :eek:

Seajet

Visit site
'Loads of character, very rare'; as in normally only found inhabiting the most fevered nightmares of people on something very strong...

Does 'fold down masts' mean the chainplates are admittedly suspect ?! :eek:

Seajet

Visit site
It IS a classic advert though...

To be honest I find it a little sad, people like me are taking the p, but looking at the kit and rig 'ideas', she is / was obviously the pride and joy of some soul with great plans, if only they'd done a bit more practical sailing before investing the effort.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I don't think that is the usual rig for the Birmingham navy, It's a Junk Rig.

!C!skcF!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!lgEz+58bTv2BNEJVtoj!Q~~_12.JPG

Unstayed tabernacle masts seems a pretty unusual arrangement, so yes it is very rare. May not be that safe tho. :D

Most of the Brum Navy I have seen have used very old open speedboats, usually without any safety equip0ment whatsoever, unless a couple of kapok "lifejackets" are left aboard to be used as cushions.

Edit, just spotted a shroud on the foremast, so how does the junk rig work then?

prv

Visit site
just spotted a shroud on the foremast, so how does the junk rig work then?

Some junks do have shrouds. Apparently the unstayed mast was the traditional approach, but when steel wire from the West started turning up over there in the late 1800s, designs evolved to make use of it. I've heard the term "big eye chicken" used to refer to such a rig, although I'm not sure quite what it's supposed to mean or if it's really the correct term.

Here's an American boat that uses the lines of Slocum's Spray for the hull, a stayed-junk mainmast, and a balanced lug mizzen:

42115d1271087347-roberts-spray-36-too-slow-bertie.png

Pete