Possible?

playford

Visit site
I grew up around my dad tinkering with boats and stripping anti fouling lol

Now I've wanted my own boat for a while but cost of a lot of the fancier marinas was just too much, plus didnt want to pay fortunes to have a boat on hardstanding as I restored it. I've since found this place, near me and looks pretty decent and might be somewhere I can restore a boat. £80 a year membership :) (plus joining fee)

http://eastbelfastyachtclub.yolasite.com/

would it be possible you think to get a decent sized boat and restore it myself?

I saw that solani class 38ft boat put up here in bangor went for £700! would it be possible to restore something like that without it costing tens of thousands. I'm aware I'm after a champagne lifestyle for lemonade money.

but if can keep mooring charges down and do the work myself? My dad could give me a hand as regards the engines etc.

if someone could bring me down to earth here and a bit of experience/realism.. lol

Keith 66

Visit site
Now thats far more sensible, there are a lot of 70's yachts out there that are frankly worn out & of low value. Be warned it will still cost you a fair bit. New Engine, Rigging, wiring, fittings, fuel tank, toilet, windows, sails, headlinings, upholstery. Before you know it you will be up to ten grand & then probably stop counting! A boat built in 1971 like my Sabre 27 is now 40 years old, granted mine was probably one of the most knackered of her class but she was very cheap. In reality i bought a cheap hull & deck.
Still she is starting to look smart now!

TopDonkey

Visit site
You want something like this !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....934423&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

And before you ask, no, its not for sale !, i only just bought it and intend to get it up to scratch myself with a budget of only £1000, although where it is in reading at the moment, is costing £130 a month on the hardstanding !!, i would love to find somewhere cheaper as thats a big chunk of my leisure budget taken up each month

playford

Visit site
yeah, taken me years to find somewhere I could work on a boat on the cheap.

just need the boat now, I wonder if theres any abandoned projects etc maybe there already. just have to see what turns up.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Try this

FREE!

Get in touch ASAP +44(0)7968585641

Location: B & J Boatyard, Bangor, Belfast Lough, Northern Ireland.
Sailing Yacht “SHEELIN”

R.N.S.A. “Solani Class”

Specifications

Description Designer. Maurice Griffiths G.M. A.I.N.A.
L.O.A. 38`6¨
Beam. 10`4¨
Draught. 4`3¨
Builder. P.J. Cosgrove. Freetown.
Year. 1951.
Class. R.N.S.A “Solani” Class.
Reg Tonnage 8.85.
Keel. Long Lead Ballast Keel. 3.12 tons
Varnished Topsides. Mahogany planking on Native Oak.
Hull. Mahogany, Copper Sheathed.
Deck. Laid African Mahogany, painted.
Steering Tiller

(2)
Rig. Sail Plan Bermudan Cutter.
Spars. Pine, solid section mast and boom
Standing Rigging Galvanised, replaced 1996
Running Rigging 2 x spinnaker sheets and spi-pole.

Machinery Diesel Engine. Mercedes 42hp. 2:1 Reduction
Propeller Three bladed, off-set to port side.
Fuel 3 x Copper fuel tanks
Water 2 x S/S Water Tanks, manual pumps
Anchor Winch Manual
Ships Batteries 2xhouse, 2xengine(latter to replace)

Accomodation Berths Five in three cabins
Galley Gas, 2 burners, oven & grill + sink
Heads Separate heads and hand basin
Saloon Standing Headroom

Inventory Navigation Compass,E-sounder,Autopilot.VHF
2 x Bronze Mainsheet Winches,
Navigation lights, Warps & fenders,
Ground Tackle 2 x C.Q.R Anchors.1x25Kg.1x20kg
. Good quantity of chain and warp
Safety Equipment Hand and 2 x electric bilge pumps
Extras Large quantity of spares and tools

Description
“Sheelin” with her built up topsides, is instantly recognisable as coming from the drawing board of the respected designer Maurice Griffiths. A class of sailing vessel commissioned by the Royal Naval Sailing Association after extensive research and based on the following design brief.

“The Solani class should be a moderate displacement auxiliary cruising yacht which must be safe and easy for an inexperienced crew to handle, comfortable for four persons to cruise in, reasonably fast, and equally suitable for deep water passages and for estuary cruising or “ditch crawling” (please see attached article from Yachting Monthly 1946)

Unlike many wooden sailing yachts built in UK after the war and during the fifties, that were constructed with relatively unseasoned timbers, and perhaps galvanised ribs, the
combination of which left many in an almost un-restorable condition by the eighties
“Sheelin” had the good fortune to be built in British West Africa from selected, prime quality native timber, fully seasoned, and which has largely stood the test of time.
(3)
The vessel has been in Northern Ireland for many years, was cruised extensively and was well known within the local Club racing circuit. Apart from on-going maintenance including regular servicing of the engine until 2004 as stated by the previous owner, refits have included:
1983 Cockpit removed and rebuilt by Bangor Shipyard Co.
1984 Gunwale planks replaced. Chain plates renewed and the 1 inch bronze keel bolts examined by Bangor Shipyard Co. 1996 Standing Rigging replaced.
2008 Mast professionally refurbished plus all mast fittings. (now looks like a new mast).

Commentary
The present run down condition of the vessel is due to fact that both the present and previous owners suffered long ill-health, resulting in nine years of neglect, with the vessel in the boat yard on dry land for eight of those years. As a result of her present owners on-going ill health, and for this reason only, she is offered for sale.

In 2007 the present owner began a restoration which was soon curtailed by ill-ness and thus down below “Sheelin” resembles an abandoned workshop, not helped by the occasional ingress of rainwater from open hatches.
However, a dedicated wooden boat enthusiast will immediately recognise “Sheelins`” potential, and realise that apart from some isolated “soft spots” she is an extremely sound vessel, eminently worthy of restoration, much of which will be cosmetic in nature.

A December 2006 Survey report is available, for information only, to serious purchasers who wish to view the vessel and from which the following observations are quoted.
“Planking all appears serviceable” “All through hull fittings are bronze, well fitted and appear secure” “The outboard mahogany rudder is well fitted and secure” “Sails all appear serviceable with only some general re-stitching required”
But perhaps most important from the surveyors summary “The vessel is constructed of quality materials and has the potential to be recovered after a period of restoration”

“Sheelin” is therefore a viable and worthwhile proposition for a hands on, classic wooden boat enthusiast of the “old school“, and who is able to recognise an opportunity when they see one.

Contacts: Charlie Wood. email: chaz.wood@yahoo.co.uk Tel +44(0)7968585641

playford

Visit site
I'd need to get it back from the isle of skye as well!

no hurry, better to get the right boat. I think theres gonna be plenty of project boats doing the rounds at the minute. I'm lucky in that I dont have a huge mortgage or kids, but if people are cutting back that 200 a month having a boat that needs money spent on it will be up for sale quick enough.

I'm hoping in a boatyard that a bit of chinese whispers goes on about boats going as well. great believer in fate at times, think the right boat is out there.

DownWest

Visit site
While not in the market at the moment.. A huge amount of work can be done DIY, if one researches. Sails, rigging and fittings can be done for the cost of materials, if inclined..esp. if the boat is in the smaller, circa 20ft size.
There was a piece on in PBO on restoring a 24ft rough GRP example up to sale-able status. But it was several years ago ( Achiles ) Doubt if the economics apply now ( if they ever did, if one counts the hours)
This is not a logical area, boats never are.

My in-laws had a cushin embroidered with the words " A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money" They had several.. But used them often.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
have a look here

http://woodenboatrescue.org/

and have a read here :D http://yachtpals.com/free-boat-9065

an excerpt:

we've figured out a formula for boats that has withstood the test of time (or at least kept us away from a number of money pits).
Here it is: Take what you would spend to buy the boat, and add the cost of all of the things you want done to the boat as if you were going to hire a yard to do it, buying all new equipment.
Sure, you may be doing all or at least part of the work yourself, and you may be able to scrounge and salvage parts, but for the time being and the sake of argument, just say that you are going to have everything done at yard rates.

Add it all up.

Now, honestly:
Could you realistically expect to sell the boat for that price (your purchase price + the all of the boatyard labor and parts for upgrades and repairs) in two months time?

Example 1: a $150,000 boat that has been kept up and maintained, is well equipped, requires no repairs, and can be sold to someone else for that price within two months is a good deal.

Example 2: A free boat, which needs new water tanks, fuel tanks and plumbing, new rigging, new bulkheads, a new deck, prep, paint and varnish inside and out, etc., etc., etc., and which wouldn't fetch $80,000 after you'd sunk $150,000 in the boat yard - that's a very bad deal!

Last edited:

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I grew up around my dad tinkering with boats and stripping anti fouling lol

Now I've wanted my own boat for a while but cost of a lot of the fancier marinas was just too much, plus didnt want to pay fortunes to have a boat on hardstanding as I restored it. I've since found this place, near me and looks pretty decent and might be somewhere I can restore a boat. £80 a year membership :) (plus joining fee)

http://eastbelfastyachtclub.yolasite.com/

would it be possible you think to get a decent sized boat and restore it myself?

I saw that solani class 38ft boat put up here in bangor went for £700! would it be possible to restore something like that without it costing tens of thousands. I'm aware I'm after a champagne lifestyle for lemonade money.

but if can keep mooring charges down and do the work myself? My dad could give me a hand as regards the engines etc.

if someone could bring me down to earth here and a bit of experience/realism.. lol

Rather than a wooden boat consider something unloved in ferrocement. Unloved but all there, and just needing sorting out. At all costs avoid the engineless mastless hulls but something that is more or less all there but is someones abandoned poject or dream.

A quick google found this one

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=GBP&access=Public&listing_id=31624&url=

OK it is in California but this sort of thing turns up every so often in the UK sub £5k

Or this one is nearer to being ready to go

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=182473 £10k OBO [and it is a classic]

Old Bob does OK in the Antigua Classic races to!

Last edited:

Ergonomist

Visit site
Yes, good luck, but enthusiasm and dreams for a beautiful old 38 footer could rapidly become a financial nightmare even if you don't actually do anything to her! Costs of storage and transport escalate rapidly with size, so something around 20ft which is possible to store and transport youself may be more realistic, and you can still have your dreams!
In my area, Poole, I know of several small wooden cruisers looking for good homes, their owners having become too old or frail to keep them.
If you view my post "Raffles" you can see how I unintentionally came by another wooden boat. I started trying to save it because I couldn't bear to see it being broken up by gales, but am now the owner, with yet another project!

playford

Visit site
@ergo The boat yard im going to see is £80 a year to keep a boat there, hardstanding or mudberth.

Went down to the Irish boat jumble this weekend in carrickfergus, not much in the way of boats sadly. Came home with a packet of wire wool lol.

Lovely marina though, I could actually see myself living there, showers, on site electric, supermarket, cinema, nice cafes and pubs and its 20 mins on train into Belfast.

funny someone mentioned ferro cement, the boat yard in east belfast I'm going to see on sunday seems to do a lot of this oddly. Going up to meet them this sunday, so will report back.

I can do painting and varnishing and a lot of the routine bits etc and my dad can give me a hand with engines, he's qualified to do marine gas installation work as well. so all that would help cost wise. I think a lot is going to depend on whether I want a smaller boat for pottering around on or something bigger I could live on (I'm not married/no kids) so it would only be me and my gf visiting a couple of nights a week.

Boats seem to be much more expensive in NI though to the north of england.

I need to get into a decent boatyard as you always here of stuff going that way rather than on gumtree/ebay or something like that.

I appreciate peoples comments arounf buying cheap and expensive restoration v paying more and less work as well.

Last edited:

playford

Visit site
well went to see boatyard today, loads of room for hardstanding and electric available onsite, so perfect for a restoration project really.

6 weeks wait to become a member, Cant see anything I would want to being on site being a problem, some very big boats there, but loads of space and not too fussy about mess from restoration etc.

carl170

halcyon23.blogspot.co.uk
I bought a book called ''this old boat '' which helped me a lot. Good books can both inspire and educate.

Do NOT buy the first boat you can afford. I did and sold her 6 years later having spent hundreds on bits and pieces, epoxy and fibreglass. I sold her a year ago and the bloke who bought her was working on her on the weekend and looked no further forward. You will often spend more buying a ''bargain'' that needs a little tlc than buying a boat that can be used.

Regards

Carl