River restaurant reviews

jecuk

Visit site
Marlow restaurants

Maliks
Sequel to the Cookham restaurant. Very good Indian but small premises. Booking a good idea.

Compleat Angler
A compleat waste. Expensive and terrible service.

Marlow Bar and Grill
Good reliable bistro food. Can get busy and a bit slow.

Pachanga
Really good Mexican and associated drinks.

Thai Square
Quiet thai restaurant but with good food and service. Part of the chain.

Two Brewers
Under very good new ownership. Nice bar and solid, if not exactly inspired, food.

Zizzi's
Same as every other Zizzi's in universe.

Villa D'este
Apparently good food but walked out last time as service was so appalling. Avoid.

Hand and Flowers
Nice food but slow and in my experience poor service. Expensive for the experience.

The Cheerful Soul in The Hare and Hounds
Preferred it under previous owner. Big revamp after Blanc acquired, service a bit patchy. Been empty when we have been recently.

Tiger Cub
Another good Indian but food not quite as good as Maliks IMHO. That said, easier to get in.

Elessar

Visit site
I thought this might be a good thread to start. I will post a reply on Marlow which I know well.

Race you to mentioning the two brewers in st peter st, which if I had to pick a favourite in marlow would be it.

Excellent service without being stuffy, nice pub, good beer, excellent food, menu changes with the seasons. Not cheap pub grub though it is a restaurant with restaurant prices, but not much is cheap in marlow.

You can nose a small boat into the gap beside the slipway at the end of st peter st, or walk from the 24hr envag mooring just below the lock.

The slipway btw is the site of the old marlow bridge, the wooden one before the iron one was built.

Elessar

Visit site
Race you to mentioning the two brewers in st peter st, which if I had to pick a favourite in marlow would be it.

damn you beat me you must have had a head start - interesting you don't rate it as much as me just shows everyone thinks differently about restaurants.

Elessar

Visit site
Maliks
Sequel to the Cookham restaurant. Very good Indian but small premises. Booking a good idea.

Compleat Angler
A compleat waste. Expensive and terrible service.

Marlow Bar and Grill
Good reliable bistro food. Can get busy and a bit slow.

Pachanga
Really good Mexican and associated drinks.

Thai Square
Quiet thai restaurant but with good food and service. Part of the chain.

Two Brewers
Under very good new ownership. Nice bar and solid, if not exactly inspired, food.

Zizzi's
Same as every other Zizzi's in universe.

Villa D'este
Apparently good food but walked out last time as service was so appalling. Avoid.

Hand and Flowers
Nice food but slow and in my experience poor service. Expensive for the experience.

Preferred it under previous owner. Big revamp after Blanc acquired, service a bit patchy. Been empty when we have been recently.

Tiger Cub
Another good Indian but food not quite as good as Maliks IMHO. That said, easier to get in.

an excellent list.

I'd add the prince of wales pub
a pub with decent thai food served by thai people- opposite the tiger cub.

As an off the wall addendum, there is a chinese takeaway in the coach and horses pub. Proper beer while you wait for your chinese food, which is fine and the same as every other half decent chinese takaway.

Cashbuyer

Visit site
Maliks will deliver to the boat. Very good food and not your usual 'Indian fare' smothered in sauce. Sit on the rear deck by Marlow weir with a good curry - highly recommended

Compleat Angler is a MacDonald Hotel. Avoid

Marlow Bar & Grill thinks it is better than it is. Average and slow service. Poor 'Sunday Roast'. Average

Bel and The Dragon in Cookham - food all day and good garden at rear. Decent service - you can order drinks at the table. Linen napkins and clean cutlery makes all the difference. Good food and interesting menu although a bit hit and miss with execution

The Ferry, Cookham - on this thread before for all the wrong reasons. Arrogant and poor service. Survives purely on position alone. Avoid

The Barge at Harleyford - Quite good food let down by very slow service (one hour wait for three breakfasts) on a quiet Saturday. Poor 'machine coffee' as per petrol stations. Haven't returned.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
La Tasca at Kingston.

Not too bad at all for a semi chain of tapas places, good portions and decent service. If I was running the place I'd make damn sure that pontoon outside had some useable mooring fittings.

Wier Hotel just up from SUnbury Lock
Beer usually reasonably kept and they had some very pretty barmaids last time I was there. Food is eyewateringly expensive for a pub (but can be very good). Gets alarmingly busy when the weather is fine.

Chill

Visit site
Any reviews for Boulters Restaurant & Bar, also the new moorings look good, is there plenty of depth and do they make an overnight charge for these

Chill

Brayman

Visit site
Any reviews for Boulters Restaurant & Bar, also the new moorings look good, is there plenty of depth and do they make an overnight charge for these

Chill

Food and servcie is good, but the coffee is REALLY expensive! Only been on foot unfortunately, I'll be interested in comments on depth as may give it a go one day next week.

I would hope they don't charge for overnight!!

Glorfindel

Visit site
Swan Pangbourne

Run by French staff - Greene King - but well kept Greene King do tell them to unscrew the pump sparkler. Food very good value for money (for the Thames) recommend their House Burgers. Moorings for two small or one big. Easy walk from Pangbourne meadows - cross the road as you leave the car park and follow the path then turn right at the road - ten minutes from the moorings.

Brayman

Visit site
Run by French staff - Greene King - but well kept Greene King do tell them to unscrew the pump sparkler. Food very good value for money (for the Thames) recommend their House Burgers. Moorings for two small or one big. Easy walk from Pangbourne meadows - cross the road as you leave the car park and follow the path then turn right at the road - ten minutes from the moorings.

Just don't have a steak, they're overpriced and undersized.

Akers_like

Visit site
Food and servcie is good, but the coffee is REALLY expensive! Only been on foot unfortunately, I'll be interested in comments on depth as may give it a go one day next week.

I would hope they don't charge for overnight!!

We have been eating at Boulters quite a lot this year, service is always excellent and food in my opinion good and reasonably priced.

Despite promises to have the new pontoons dredged I am given to understand there is some delay as the river bed may be toxic, therefore test have to be done!! My wife has had some email correspondence with Paul, who is a Director, and I know he keeps an eye on the Forum so hopefully he will be along with a full explanation.

The area around both sides of the pontoon is shallow, however if you proceed up the weir stream and sweep back in facing downstream, staying as close to Boulters Inn as possible, it is do-able. We draw 3ft 6in. The fun then starts after a few glasses of Pinot in backing out into the weirstream

No Regrets

Visit site
I'll look forward to trying that then!

Thats a lot of draught! Are you sure your bilge pumps* are working?

*I'll bet you have a few LOL

Ian45

Visit site

A friend who used to work at our local french restaurant has just started as head chef at the The Hare and Hounds. Very good chef if his cuisine in our local is anything to go by.

Will be paying him a visit very soon.

pauldennis

www.boultersrestaurant.co.uk
Dredging scheduled for any day now

Hi Everybody,
Many thanks for your continuing support, kind reviews and interest in Boulters.

I can confirm that the EA granted our license to dredge last week. Contractors have been appointed and we are expecting them to carry out the works before the end of August when they manage to get the plant to site.

We will be going to 2 metres but if anybody has any feedback on that depth and needs more please let me know.

I can only apologise that it has taken so long to get this sorted; there is no problem with the riverbed but Maidenhead locals may well be aware of the complicated scenario that we have been navigating our way through surrounding riverbank and riverbed ownership.

The new Brasserie menu is being very well received so I look forward to seeing you all very soon.
Warm regards
Paul Dennis
Director

PS - If the anti goose pontoon sprinkler is on when you visit call us on 01628 621291 and we'll send somebody out to turn it off!!!!

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I can confirm that the EA granted our license to dredge last week. Contractors have been appointed and we are expecting them to carry out the works before the end of August when they manage to get the plant to site.

We will be going to 2 metres but if anybody has any feedback on that depth and needs more please let me know.

Thats great news Paul and 2 metres will do nicely - much more than available most places upriver.

can only apologise that it has taken so long to get this sorted; there is no problem with the riverbed but Maidenhead locals may well be aware of the complicated scenario that we have been navigating our way through surrounding riverbank and riverbed ownership.

No need to apologise - quite frankly I'm amazed that you've managed to work your way through the sludge and silt to get this far - well done !

Brayman

Visit site
That is good news, but a bit late for me I'm afraid, I was planning on making it down on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week but with my 1.2 metre draught I'll have to wait.:(