Primor 24 Motorboat - fuel consumption.

Refueler

Visit site
I have option to buy a Primor 24 motorboat for a bargain price ... perfect for river and coastal use ....

The only item I don't like - is that it has a gasoline engine ... albeit a replacement engine couple of years back - all serviced etc.

Volvo Penta Aq 170 / B30

Boat as I say is a fairly common motorboat style with 4 berth cabin / galley etc. 24ft ...

What would be a rough guide to fuel consumption pottering about .... medium cruise ... flat out ....

I'm thinking 5L ..... 10 - 12L .... 20 - 25L per hour ??

Quote >

I am selling a cutter in excellent condition.

A couple of years ago we replaced the Volvo Penta B20 engine with a Volvo Penta Aq 170 / B30.
6 cylinders / 3.0 L.
Labor costs 3500 euros + other maintenance costs, there are checks.
Economic consumption.
2 petrol tanks.
Engine serviced and stored for winter.
2 solar panels.
Gas stove
Sink
Unique boat because it is produced only in one copy.
You can read about it if you google Fisksätra Primor 24.
Complete with trailer.
No investment required.

Attachments

• Primor 24.jpg
    Primor 24.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 19

B27

Visit site
I think the displacement will be a big driver of consumption.
Some little cabin boats are much heavier than others!
Pottering at low speed, it depends on the hull shape, how much transom is it dragging?
A mate has a 24ft cruiser on the Thames, 5mph (IIRC) it sips fuel and makes no wash.

Flat out, the motor will use what Volvo quotes for full power. i.e. A lot!

Davy_S

Visit site
I used to own a cranchi 22ft, it had a 4 cyl volvo 138hp, i think it was a AQ130, it was a thirsty beast, it used more than 25 ltrs an hour!

Last edited:

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
As a side consideration to a gasoline engine that could feel like you are just pouring petrol in from a bucket, is petrol widely available at the waterside?
My Shetland F4 has 4 portable 25litre tanks that last me a day out, and I can get them to a supermarket petrol station, but inboard tanks would be a pita if they had to be filled with 10litre jerrycans from a roadside station

Tranona

Visit site
Anywhere in that range you quoted. Used at displacement speed not a lot and at full chat a lot! That is a rare beast (the B30) but will sound great at speed!. Suspect most people who own that type of boat don't worry too much about fuel consumption because the annual hours of use are low - sort of cause and effect - it costs a lot to run so you don't use it a lot!

Refueler

Visit site
As a side consideration to a gasoline engine that could feel like you are just pouring petrol in from a bucket, is petrol widely available at the waterside?
My Shetland F4 has 4 portable 25litre tanks that last me a day out, and I can get them to a supermarket petrol station, but inboard tanks would be a pita if they had to be filled with 10litre jerrycans from a roadside station

I have various machinery that means I have gasoline - but not in the probable amounts this boat will need ...

Shetland .. thats what I was looking for but price is silly over here for one ...

Refueler

Visit site
Anywhere in that range you quoted. Used at displacement speed not a lot and at full chat a lot! That is a rare beast (the B30) but will sound great at speed!. Suspect most people who own that type of boat don't worry too much about fuel consumption because the annual hours of use are low - sort of cause and effect - it costs a lot to run so you don't use it a lot!

River is patroled and max is 8kts .... so usually it will be just gentling cruising ...

Tranona

Visit site
Then if you can run a Range Rover you won't find fuel consumption restricting you. Just like pootling up and down the Thames which a lot of people do with similar boats. Bit of a waste of a boat but looks like a nice little thing to own.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Shetland .. thats what I was looking for but price is silly over here for one ...
My Shetland is going up for brokerage this week, I wish I could keep it for another 22years but storage costs and ‘upkeep in the condition it is accustomed to’ adds up. 3 years ago I moved over into the slow lane mistakenly thinking sailing might be cheaper than 1500-2000 litres of unleaded every season.

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Then if you can run a Range Rover you won't find fuel consumption restricting you. Just like pootling up and down the Thames which a lot of people do with similar boats. Bit of a waste of a boat but looks like a nice little thing to own.

The Range Rover actually is more economic than my Volvo XC70 2.4 T5 ...... the RR is 4.4 TDV8 .... goes like a rocket - but general highway is a dream ...

Tomorrow I view the 3.0ltr TDi small truck .... doubt that's going to be frugal .....

My ex Soviet speedboat with 20hp Mariner on back ... an afternoon on the river will knock me anything up to 20Ltr ....

Consolation of course is that I have no marina fees to pay ... all except the 38 will sit at bottom of garden.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
So bought .. and trailered home ....

Scruffy after a winter outside .... hull needs good polish .... interior woodwork sanding back and revarnish ...

But engine and hydraulics good ... just one little hitch - when raising leg - its gets to half raised and then needs a hand to just nudge it to finish ... probably old oil .. replace and top up.

Seller wants to keep in touch AND visit when boat launched ...

Bills the guy paid out ... he's only basically recovered the costs ... he bough the boat in Sweden based on photos - but once it arrived - it was too big for the 'lake' near him. People wanted smaller - with a Shetland being the biggest ... so in the end he cut the price to clear what he spent.

The trailer has no VIN number - so technically cannot be registered here .... unlike UK - we register all trailers separate to cars and they get own number plate etc. Will have to have a word with my guy in Roads Dept ...

Am I happy ... Yep !! Just not looking fwd to the gasoline bills !!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 16.33.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 16.33.47.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 16.33.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 16.33.19.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 16.33.32.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 16.33.32.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 16

Refueler

Visit site
Looks a nice balance on cockpit vs cabin space. It’s a sweet spot most modern boats get wrong, they’re too much pilothouse and not enough cruising by day, camping by night that 70/80s Shetlands did so well

Seller had a Shetland 525 as well ... but it had a big OMC inboard that created a large engine box in the cockpit .. if it had been an outboard version as most are - I might have taken that instead.

I've sanded the washboards and hatch ... stained and now varnishing ....

Next will be the cabin interior woodwork as the boat has obviously stood a while in Sweden before moving to Latvia ..

What is good ... the bunk mattresses and cushions in the cabin are all in very good condition and clean ... its only the seating in cockpit that has suffered.

The cockpit cover has seen better days .. the metal frame also ... Today is rain all day - so work on the boat is stopped till it dries up ..
Once weather is good ... cover and the framework will be removed .. separated and sorted. The cover will have patches added where frame corners have worn through ... giving it another year or so use before need to replace. Luckily its all in one so - good as template.
The frame needs all paint removed ... corrosion treated and then a decent coat of Hammerite ...

I have to admit that I am not a MoBo person - sail is my thing ... but this boat has got me itching to have in water and sorted.

Refueler

Visit site
2SrZv43l.jpg

sBKUugNl.jpg

PtM8GpKl.jpg