JPK 39FC

doris

Visit site
Agree, but solar is very worthwhile, and works very effectively in the UK. Plus for a boat like that, semi flex panels are very light weight as well as cost effective. Doubt anybody has ever regretted adding solar panels.
As soon as the panels are made to be walked on the efficiency plummets and I don’t want a big goal post style arch on the stern for decent panels.
Maybe flexi roll outs may work in the future.

Numbers

Visit site
Will you be having a battery up forward somewhere for your Windlass and Thruster?

I realise there would be voltage drop over a long run, but adding another battery does add extra complexity/connections ... could a long run of thicker cable be lighter than a second battery?

Is it set that it's all 12 volts ... or is there any option for 24 volts? (to reduce the thickness of any cable runs)

dunedin

Visit site
Where do you mount and store them ?
I would have put on the coach roof but ours is teak so two on the sprayhood - which stays up for us, as have windscreen below.
One roving panel which gets moved around. Been seriously abused for 6-7 years with no detriment to function.
Abandoned a rigid panel which was too much hassle and now lives in garage.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Stargazer has an all roving set up. Using these SunWare TX panels. Basically 2 of their semi rigids mounted on a stout ‘canvas’ backing. So that they fold like a book. A pair stow well in the aft cabin. (Which is a much smaller affair than that on a JPK 39FC).
I had cringles added to each corner (for lashings) and loops added to the backs. The loops allow me to insert aluminium tubes. Which prevent the panels folding; and allow me to cantilever them off the cabin top, to avoid shadow.
At anchor, one usually lives just ahead of the mast. Off to one side, to avoid shadow from mast / forestay. The other is lashed to the cabin top grab rails, on whichever is the sunny side.
This set up is ‘tacked’ at turn of tide.
All channeled through Victron MPPT magic boxes.
During the ‘staycation’ year. When no ports would have us, we went 73 days, of a UK summer, with batteries kept fully charged, on this set up.Running fridge, lights, instruments etc at will.
The smaller SunWare semi rigid, which is visible, if you zoom in on my avatar picture (leaning against cabin side, up forward), has travelled from boat to boat. Since the late 90’s. Living in the aft cabin, unless at anchor. It’s holding up well.

Last edited:

doris

Visit site
Stargazer has an all roving set up. Using these SunWare TX panels. Basically 2 of their semi rigids mounted on a stout ‘canvas’ backing. So that they fold like a book. A pair stow well in the aft cabin. (Which is a much smaller affair than that on a JPK 39FC).
I had cringles added to each corner (for lashings) and loops added to the backs. The loops allow me to insert aluminium tubes. Which prevent the panels folding; and allow me to cantilever them off the cabin top, to avoid shadow.
At anchor, one usually lives just ahead of the mast. Off to one side, to avoid shadow from mast / forestay. The other is lashed to the cabin top grab rails, on whichever is the sunny side.
This set up is ‘tacked’ at turn of tide.
All channeled through Victron MPPT magic boxes.
During the ‘staycation’ year. When no ports would have us, we went 73 days, of a UK summer, with batteries kept fully charged, on this set up.Running fridge, lights, instruments etc at will.
The smaller SunWare semi rigid, which is visible, if you zoom in on my avatar picture (leaning against cabin side, up forward), has travelled from boat to boat. Since the late 90’s. Living in the aft cabin, unless at anchor. It’s holding up well.
Ta for that John, v helpful 👍👍

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We have an ‘extra’ panel on the sprayhood, we had eyes put on the hood for this purpose. It’s meant to be temporary but we only remove it for racing and cleaning. The other panels are behind the anchor locker, and on the coachroof in front of the mast. The 3 together are 250w which seems to serve our needs in uk, even though our outboard charging is pathetic. ThevJPK will have a stonking alternator by comparison, so a folding setup might well be almost all you need, plus maybe a permanent 80-100w panel to make sure you’re 100% ready to start the engine always.