Advice needed all of it

pbp

Visit site
Hi all don't know if I'm in the right section or not but couldn't seem to find a more suitable section. Well here goes, I was last on a boat 30+ years ago. Recently I've been feeling like I need to be on the water tho. From my limited research I've done so far the answers I've found have been clear as mud. I understand I will need to get a licence before I set off on any adventures, where would be a good place to get classes/instruction. I'm not thinking of super yatch size boats but would like to explore the UK coast from the wetter side. It's been playing on my mind for a couple of years now and have decided if I don't get started I'll never do it. So please any advice or pointers would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance
Pbp

Seastoke

Visit site
First you don’t need a licence, but good to do a coarse . So first do you want power or sail , then where you live peeps will recommend best training establishment. @nd welcome. It sounds like you want a motor boat with your name. Proper Boat Please.

Reactions: pbp

pbp

Visit site
Yes was going to go down the powered route, something like one of those small Shetland jobbies for a start. I'm currently based in the w.mids but I don't fancy being stuck to just the canals. Will probably start off with a scabby old one and spend some time putting it right I'm used to turning my hands to new projects and fortunately I'm a good swimmer🤣. Oh and pbp is for powered by pies.

Seastoke

Visit site
Yes was going to go down the powered route, something like one of those small Shetland jobbies for a start. I'm currently based in the w.mids but I don't fancy being stuck to just the canals. Will probably start off with a scabby old one and spend some time putting it right I'm used to turning my hands to new projects and fortunately I'm a good swimmer🤣. Oh and pbp is for powered by pies.
Our second boat was a Shetland family four , remember you need at least a 60hp engine for sea .

pbp

Visit site
I had guessed I'd need more than a sub 10hp motor to fight against tides and such. Been looking around online and there seem to be a few "project" boats around my local area. Obviously I wouldnt rush out and buy the first one I find. Any pointers as to know weak spots with that type? Have helped my uncle quite a bit doing car bodyworks so not a newbie to using fiberglass so I'm covered on that front. Im guessing there will be wood supports buried within the hull so keep an eye for spongey feeling sections where it's started to delaminate and possible rot has set in?

PlanB

Visit site
As sai previously, you don't need a licence.
Some people will say do a course (eg Day Skipper) before you get your boat.
We did it the other way round, bought the boat and then straight away had a week's own boat tuition and got Day Skipper Practical.
That gave us the confidence to do a lot of local water practising on our own.

pbp

Visit site
As sai previously, you don't need a licence.
Some people will say do a course (eg Day Skipper) before you get your boat.
We did it the other way round, bought the boat and then straight away had a week's own boat tuition and got Day Skipper Practical.
That gave us the confidence to do a lot of local water practising on our own.
That's probably the way I'll do it as I'm thinking of getting an equivalent of an old banger and doing it up. Would at least then know more of the ins and outs of my leaky bucket before I set off.