Londonchartplotters

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I have have an ancient iPad with Memory Maps and UKHO Raster charts, no issues in over 10 years of ownership.
I did have a NAVMAN from 2000, no issues, just worked then the screen brightness started failing 2 x years ago, tech redundant, could have had it repaired with second hand parts, but not worth it.
I now have a Raymarine Axiom + 12, self installed, 2 x years now, software and charts are updated by self via mobile phone and the network detects if other Raymarine systems need software update. Sometimes charts are updated at home on the SDI cards.

All the above are hassle free. Raymarine update instructions were not that good, contacted their agent and got clearer instructions (as well as help on here).

I too have an old iPad mini, IOS 12.5.7. This week my Navionics subscription expired and when I tried to renew it was informed I need to update Navionics. Tried that, and then informed it requires IOS 13 or greater, rendering my iPad obsolete as far as Navionics are concerned.
I’ve always had the free Memory Map app loaded for the Antares charts (essential for W of Scotland). I paid the extra £27 for the Pro subscription that allows WiFi connection to my EmTrak that gives me AIS overlay (and other features I’m still exploring).

Navionics? Nice, but I’m not buying a newer iPad or Android just for that. It’s back to raster charts for me.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I too have an old iPad mini, IOS 12.5.7. This week my Navionics subscription expired and when I tried to renew it was informed I need to update Navionics. Tried that, and then informed it requires IOS 13 or greater, rendering my iPad obsolete as far as Navionics are concerned.
I’ve always had the free Memory Map app loaded for the Antares charts (essential for W of Scotland). I paid the extra £27 for the Pro subscription that allows WiFi connection to my EmTrak that gives me AIS overlay (and other features I’m still exploring).

Navionics? Nice, but I’m not buying a newer iPad or Android just for that. It’s back to raster charts for me.

Happened to me, but I am buying a second hand iPad from https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/l/ipad/6053d9e8-2eaa-4971-9b6e-79b8a16e4dee

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Why pay silly money for old iPads for navigation ?

Brand new, 10.4 screen ; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0C628J564/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't pay silly money for an old iPad. I paid silly money for a new iPad about 12 years ago. I'll never buy an Apple product again.
Too many apps stop working properly when they update the OS. BBC News doesn't show images other than the banner headline. Predict Wind doesn't show the Wind, rain or cloud maps. Navionics works, but without any of the functionality the subscription brings.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I didn't pay silly money for an old iPad. I paid silly money for a new iPad about 12 years ago. I'll never buy an Apple product again.
Too many apps stop working properly when they update the OS. BBC News doesn't show images other than the banner headline. Predict Wind doesn't show the Wind, rain or cloud maps. Navionics works, but without any of the functionality the subscription brings.
I wasn't referring to you personally, just a general comment. (y)