TAMD41 Rocker wear (thankfully not!)

Pleinmont

Visit site
Hi
My mechanic checked the valve clearances this week on my TAMD41 and his manager passed on the message that the rockers are showing a bit of wear and whilst not urgent they could need replacing at some point.
Boat has done about 750hrs and runs fine.
I can't seem to find much if anything on the internet about worn rockers esp re TAMD and not something I've heard others have to do.
Will speak to the guy direct when he's available but makes me wonder how big a job this could be £££££.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi
My mechanic checked the valve clearances this week on my TAMD41 and his manager passed on the message that the rockers are showing a bit of wear and whilst not urgent they could need replacing at some point.
I can't seem to find much if anything on the internet about worn rockers esp re TAMD and not something I've heard others have to do.
Will speak to the guy direct when he's available but makes me wonder how big a job this could be £££££.
Thanks
Never known the 41/42/43 to wear on rocker it's the 44/300 that wear on slow running

Plum

Visit site
Hi
Thanks
Does not sound right. Mine has done 1500 hours and no discernable wear. Remove one or more of the three rocker covers and find a rocker clear of the valve stem. Can you wiggle the end of the rocker by hand fore and aft? If not, find another company to do your maintenance.

Last edited:

Pleinmont

Visit site
Thanks for replies.

Panic over... I got hold of the guy direct and thankfully the manager got the wrong end of the stick o_O
Engineer said the rockers have flattened ever so slightly on their edges causing them to grab the feeler gauge a little when checking the clearances but it's nothing to worry about.
Said you could reprofile them if particularly OCD but the way they are makes no difference to the running or life of the engine provided valve clearance is correct and they won't need replacing.
He was just passing on the info for completeness, but the engine is in fine shape and works perfectly.

Given Volvo rockers appear to be £500 each that was very reassuring to hear :)

oldgit

Visit site
Once checked the clearances on a 3000 + hour pair of AQD40 ,
Reluctantly felt obliged to at least have a look , all well within tolerances after several seasons of misuse.
A later pair of 1000 hour 41B never needed much (any) adjustment in 5 years of ownership.

Last edited:

Pleinmont

Visit site
Once checked the clearances on a 3000 + hour pair of AQD40 ,
Reluctantly felt obliged to at least have a look , all well within tolerances after several season of misuse.
A later pair of 1000 hour 41B never needed much adjustment in 5 years of ownership.
Thats more like it - I like those levels of reassurance (y)

oldgit

Visit site
Thats more like it - I like those levels of reassurance (y)
With the 40/41 series, just change the oil/filters on regular basis . Fleet oil and decent quality generic filters just fine.
Give it a supply of clean sparkly fuel via regular change of primary / secondary filters , again generic will do the job.
Dont forget on older models to change that crankcase filter,designed thoughtfully to fill your engine compartment with fumes and oil deposits.
Please change the impeller every so often and if you really have nothing better to do ,clean out the heat exchanger with dose of Rydlym (other makes are available.)
Ran two boats with pairs these engines for well over 2000 + hours and they never missed a single beat.

Main advantage over later VP engines of course .....no electromagnetic clutches or shreiking superchargers.

Last edited:

Pleinmont

Visit site
With the 40/41 series, just change the oil/filters on regular basis . Fleet oil and decent quality generic filters just fine.
Give it a supply of clean sparkly fuel via regular change of primary / secondary filters , again generic will do the job.
Dont forget on older models to change that crankcase filter,designed thoughtfully to fill your engine compartment with fumes and oil deposits.
Please change the impeller every so often and if you really have nothing better to do ,clean out the heat exchanger with dose of Rydlym (other makes are available.)
Ran two boats with pairs these engines for well over 2000 + hours and they never missed a single beat.

Main advantage over later VP engines of course .....no electromagnetic clutches or shreiking superchargers.

Nice one - thanks. Yes they seem to be decent engines from all I have read. Happy to not have any electronics or supercharger.
Yes that's the yearly service applied to my engine (plus the belts).
Doing a Rydlyme flush next week when it's out for antifouling.
(y)