VP 2003 - what have I broken?

chris-s

Visit site
Thought it was just the head gasket gone, steam in exhaust and then emulsified oil in the sump, then rough running. But when I checked inside the oil filler cap I spotted this …
IMG_0339.jpeg
whatever it is it’s in three pieces wobbling around now, probably not good.

chris-s

Visit site
did you fix this?
Ha! It only happened yesterday. As it turns out those parts are the ‘govenor’ weights. There are six of them and they are separate pieces that are ‘loosely’ attached ie there is supposed to be some movement. So, it is probably perfectly fine…other than a blown head gasket!

Nina Lucia

Visit site
Ha! It only happened yesterday. As it turns out those parts are the ‘govenor’ weights. There are six of them and they are separate pieces that are ‘loosely’ attached ie there is supposed to be some movement. So, it is probably perfectly fine…other than a blown head gasket!
We are in similar situation, old Volvo 2003T! Keep fixing devil you know, or replace it with a rebuilt newer model or just get a new Vetus or Beta?

chris-s

Visit site
We are in similar situation, old Volvo 2003T! Keep fixing devil you know, or replace it with a rebuilt newer model or just get a new Vetus or Beta?
Unfortunately, its my nature (fool that I am) that I have to at least try to fix it and tbh, although we hjve only had the boat for a single season, its been faultless until now, but yes it is an old lump, simple tho. Replacing it with a refurb'd unit would be the next option, purely because the hassle/time/effort of fitting a newer engine where everything is on the opposite sides, sorting the mounts, plumbing, control cables, electrics, exhaust oh and not to mention the prop rotation would be different and we have just fitted a very new very expensive featherstream, although I hope I could just return it and they would be able to re-work it to suit.