What boat would you buy to circumnavigate the UK and beyond, with only £5k?

srm

Visit site
I went north up the East coast. Not a lot of wind but many pot markers, even out at 50m depth.

Interesting what you say about shelter in Stromness. I was wondering about leaving a boat in Wick for a winter
Sorry no recent experience of Wick. The last time I was there all berths were against the harbour wall. Once I moved to Stromness if going east I would spend a night on a mooring at the east end of Scapa Flow so as to time the tide right to cross the Pentland Firth then head off south past Wick. Usually straight down to the Caledonian Canal when circumnavigating northern Britain. It made a nice cruise going back via Cape Wrath and the north coast.

dgadee

Visit site
Sorry no recent experience of Wick. The last time I was there all berths were against the harbour wall. Once I moved to Stromness if going east I would spend a night on a mooring at the east end of Scapa Flow so as to time the tide right to cross the Pentland Firth then head off south past Wick. Usually straight down to the Caledonian Canal when circumnavigating northern Britain. It made a nice cruise going back via Cape Wrath and the north coast.
Wick has memories for me so when I kept the boat in Lochinver I would stop there before or after Orkney. But short winter days!

Reactions: srm

ylop

Visit site
Depends how quickly you want to do it. If time is no constraint then wait somewhere comfortable for suitable winds.
A boat that is comfortable enough to press on in rougher weather, or enjoyable enough to spend a few days at anchor becalmed or waiting for weather to pass is likely to have a diesel engine so the statement probably holds true. You certainly can do it with an O/board driven boat - or indeed no engine at all but typically those boats also come without some other comforts which are going to be a serious consideration.

If you want to do it on a crewed yacht, a friend of ours is a part time skipper for an East Coast sailing school that does it as a charity event every year. They use the Crinan so not 'over the top'.
hopefully his navigator knows to use the Caledonian rather than the crinan if he’s trying to avoid going over the top ;-)

capnsensible

Visit site
A boat that is comfortable enough to press on in rougher weather, or enjoyable enough to spend a few days at anchor becalmed or waiting for weather to pass is likely to have a diesel engine so the statement probably holds true. You certainly can do it with an O/board driven boat - or indeed no engine at all but typically those boats also come without some other comforts which are going to be a serious consideration.

hopefully his navigator knows to use the Caledonian rather than the crinan if he’s trying to avoid going over the top ;-)
You spotted my mistake! Have a virtual whiskey.

Concerto

Visit site

dgadee

Visit site
Looks like a good potential purchase for someone. The only thing that might possibly be a worry is he has zero feedback rating on eBay. Hopefully the seller is genuine and he obtains a fair price for his 50 year old boat.
Can we have a sweepstake on final price?

srm

Visit site
This will probably go for well over the OP's budget but there's no reserve price so worth watching.

Yacht for sale - 1974 Rival 32 - Brighton UK | eBay
An improvement on the shorter suggestions, its length will help it get over the waves better. I remember a day sailing on a friend's Vertue. A very nice boat that sailed well in calmer water but I could not help thinking that it needed a few feet more in length to help it along when we got in a tide chop.

Minerva

Visit site
Looks like a good potential purchase for someone. The only thing that might possibly be a worry is he has zero feedback rating on eBay. Hopefully the seller is genuine and he obtains a fair price for his 50 year old boat.
Paying cash on collection should ameliorate that risk. I have a real soft spot for Rivals - they just look right.

Stemar

Visit site
I have a real soft spot for Rivals - they just look right.
I agree, but the interior is very much of its day, dark and cave-like, and cramped for a 32. Not a boat that's likely to tempt a non-sailing lady aboard. All the same, she's still a boat that will take a solo or a couple anywhere.

Plus, if the engine's as good as it sounds, that alone would be worth most of the price.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I agree, but the interior is very much of its day, dark and cave-like, and cramped for a 32. Not a boat that's likely to tempt a non-sailing lady aboard. All the same, she's still a boat that will take a solo or a couple anywhere.

Plus, if the engine's as good as it sounds, that alone would be worth most of the price.
You missed out slower than a slow thing.

steve yates

Visit site
On reflection I think this is quite an interesting thread. Who in fact is qualified to give the advice?

Not me although I have to all intents and purposes sailed around the UK including the more remote and challenging parts but not in the sense that most would consider a circumnavigation and not in one go but the passages were singlehanded but again not in a £5K boat or even close. I have though sailed in such boats but it has been short coastal sailing with facilities close at hand. Now much has been made of the fact that that is all that a UK circumnavigation is and 90% of it is but there are some with long stretches of sailing in exposed areas where if there were a problem life would quickly become difficult. For me it's risk management and there are elements of the voyage that contain "risks" which can be managed by a strong and able sailor who chooses his weather windows carefully and is prepared to have some very long days and possibly nights because in those conditions the boats in question may not average the 4 knots. However all is possible corks and letters in sealed bottles make far longer and more arduous journeys and a boat can be made like a cork ( almost)
So who is qualified there are people on here that sail £5K and under boats and no doubt are for the most well maintained and they have total confidence in them but just what type of sailing do they do? I will wager that the most experienced have spent a lot of time fettling their boats and developed the skills necessary to sail and maintain them. There is a forum member that doesn't post on here much now that took a sturdy boat in need of a lot of fettling and has sailed it down to Portugal where amongst many other things he had to fit a new engine.
So yes it can be done and I have no doubt that a Leisure 17 could do it, they have sailed further but I wouldn't recommend the OP to try it in one.
Finally the OP has said that he could with time push the budget to £10K which is beginning to look more promising ( Poignard will be rubbing his hands together in anticipation of a sale 😁 ) But what the OP has not mentioned is, is he aware of the additional costs that many have indicated and as seasoned cruisers understand and consider part of the joy of sailing. Does he intend to anchor for most of the time or expect to use marinas, what is his time available for the voyage? In any case it's too late for this year so the sound advice would be to buy what he can and likes and get to know and prepare it ready for next year, however as for many next year might not come when he finds the true costs and pleasures of owning a hole in the water.
It’s not difficult, and pretty much any boat can do it.
I haven’t sailed around the uk, but I have sailed the entire coast (on both sides) from Cumbria to Kinlochbervie and back in a £1200 boat with no fettling done, and the entire coast, from Cumbria down round Cornwall to the Thames in a £5k boat, with no fettling, in winter.
The most important requirement, apart from the fact that the boat actually floats, is the ability to take your time and sit it out waiting for better weather windows when required. Or being prepared to leave it and return.

Poignard

Visit site
I was going to say “Twister”! In fact I’d even been poking around on the web but there are few, if any, examples for sale in the UK. If I was thinking of circumnavigating the UK solo and I didn’t already have a well found boat then THAT would be a fantastic chance!
PS what’s the VAT situation ATM?
That option is now unavailable to the OP since I have just sold her to a Frenchman!