19mm hose onto Blake’s seacock

StefanSG

Visit site
I have tried till I’m blue in the face, using boiling water on the hose, cutting slits in the hose, but it doesn’t want to go on. The 3/4” Blake’s seacock seems to have a Barb that is more like 22mm OD. Anything to try before I start going at it with a hand file ?

SSG

steveeasy

Visit site
well just an idea im sure youve tried. Once you have heated the thing up with hot water, insert something inside the pipe like a wooden bung or handle from a screwdriver/chisel, wiggle the thing about then try. can be effective but im sure you may well have done that. the best thing though is to give up and have a brew, going back to something after a break always works!!
Steveeasy

James_Calvert

Visit site
Try a more flexible hose. I've just replaced a toilet inlet hose (19mm) with one I thought was a bit soft and skinny for the job. It went on easily, doesn't leak, and seems to do the job.

ROSK

Visit site
I agree with all of the above 😀
I just replaced some of the hoses on my old Princess. All the hoses are 3/4’’, and the thru hulls seems to be 1’’. I changed to a softer hose, used a wooden conical plug a hammer a bit of soap and some heat. I was not easy but after a couple tries it worked. I did not use to much heat, and waited for the hose to cool down before installing.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpeg
    IMG_4309.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

ROSK

Visit site
I had some trouble applying enough force if the hose was warm, however it was a hassle either way. For the next truhulls I might make my life easy and buy a reducer from Trudesign.

IMG_4317.jpeg

StefanSG

Visit site
With cautious use of a blowtorch (only slightly singed the hose) and some soapy water as lube, the hose went on first go, so I did the 1-1/2" and that was easy. Thanks for all the recommendations (I used most of them !) I'll put a battery powered heat gun on the christmas list.

SSG