Ocean Signal RescueME MOB1 DIY battery replacement

merjan

Visit site
The batteries on these devices need to be replaced periodically.

The "original" battery for this AIS is just two Energizer batteries in series. Those cost £4 a pair. On the other hand having batteries replaced by Ocean Signal or an authorised company is anywhere between £50-£100. (They add a sticker showing when the new batteries should expire.)

What could go wrong with a DIY service replacing the Energizer cells with exactly same (but new) ones - except for a void warranty?

Daverw

Visit site
I’ve just had mine done, did think of looking at doing it myself but decided it’s probably the most important life saver for me if I go overboard so divided to send it away to be done. It’s just come back as new with full test cert and waterproof as original.

Is it worth the risk, cost £136 to have done

merjan

Visit site
I’ve just had mine done, did think of looking at doing it myself but decided it’s probably the most important life saver for me if I go overboard so divided to send it away to be done. It’s just come back as new with full test cert and waterproof as original.

Is it worth the risk, cost £136 to have done
Thanks for the response. I would say no risk is worth taking with a life-saving device, but I was genuinely wondering whether there are any risks at all. The device can be tested easily.

Daverw

Visit site
Assume you’ve taken it apart to see batteries? Can the seal be replaced? I’ve never looked inside one

merjan

Visit site
Assume you’ve taken it apart to see batteries? Can the seal be replaced? I’ve never looked inside one
I've only seen pictures on the internet so far, as well as the datasheet for the battery. As the datasheet says it literally looks like two £2 batteries in series without much seal as they are very much exposed. Otherwise I wouldn't even have thought of doing it myself.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I did it myself for their PLB, straightforward, I bought a ready-made battery pack with the appropriate connector, cost maybe 20euro. The officially "expired" batteries inside still had a couple of years of remaining nominal life. The seal is a simple o-ring.
Likewise with an old McMurdo epirb, I bought a new Ocean Signal one and replaced the mcMurdo batteries for a nominal price, two epirbs better than one.

merjan

Visit site
I did it myself for their PLB, straightforward, I bought a ready-made battery pack with the appropriate connector, cost maybe 20euro. The officially "expired" batteries inside still had a couple of years of remaining nominal life. The seal is a simple o-ring.
Likewise with an old McMurdo epirb, I bought a new Ocean Signal one and replaced the mcMurdo batteries for a nominal price, two epirbs better than one.
Thank you - I am hesitant with after-market batteries but they may well be perfectly fine. I was encouraged to do this myself as Ocean Signal seem to use batteries that are available even at Halfords.

Roberto

Thank you - I am hesitant with after-market batteries but they may well be perfectly fine. I was encouraged to do this myself as Ocean Signal seem to use batteries that are available even at Halfords.
The original battery pack was a sealed three elements Duracell or Energizer, IIRC they are of the type with welded tabs which have to be closely soldered together and tightly wrapped in thermoplastics, being unable to do that I bought the ready made pack. Same identical Duracell type of batteries.
This is the one I bought (note I am referring to their PLB1, not the AIS beacon), surely there are several other different sellers on the internet
3-DL123A 901S01227
The Epirb had three packs of three accu each.

add
Original definitely 3x Energizer
plb1.jpg

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
That video is very good and clear, I would think I would give it a go if I could get the replacement battery pack that Roberto shows, cannot seem to find a uk reference to it

Roberto

That video is very good and clear, I would think I would give it a go if I could get the replacement battery pack that Roberto shows, cannot seem to find a uk reference to it
Apart from the risks of a DIY solution (we are all grown up to assess them by ourselves), one thing to keep in mind is the PLB1 has a counter for the number of both circuitry and gps tests, the battery replacement alone will not reset the number of tests, so the number of flashes following the next tests and its meaning will be incorrect.
After replacing the battery I made one full test (circuitry and gps) to ensure the unit was in working order.

merjan

Visit site
Apart from the risks of a DIY solution (we are all grown up to assess them by ourselves), one thing to keep in mind is the PLB1 has a counter for the number of both circuitry and gps tests, the battery replacement alone will not reset the number of tests, so the number of flashes following the next tests and its meaning will be incorrect.
After replacing the battery I made one full test (circuitry and gps) to ensure the unit was in working order.
That's a great point. Do you by any chance know if the counter issue applies to MOB1 as well?
Edit: it does seem to apply to MOB1 as well, and resetting counters might require the USB interface.

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There are some problems with replacement batteries in PLB, EPIRB.s or MOB's

1) The lithium batteries do have a shelf (self-discharge as all batteries have) so the longer they are in storage the less the life than have when in use.

The fresher the batteries the better so a supplier with a higher turnover of batteries the better as the batteries will be fresher

2) the excessive cost set by the manufacturer is taking of an dominate position and is in conflict with the monolatry laws

3) The manufacturer can and do stop supplying replace batteries so to force you to purchase a new unit a happened to me

4) I had the battery in my EPIRB replaces by a local firm that make battery packs to wild animal location and monitoring and after replacement has t tested which worked fine

5) Does the supplier / manufacturer grantee the operating life of the battery and if it does it not provide the 24/48 hours transmission time can you claim for any losses as a result. They will not as there is no grantee on the life of any battery.

6) Yes, it is a lifesaving piece of equipment but no certainty it will work and more importantly save your life if run over by a tanker.

7) if you set off an EPIRB or PLB you get no confirmation that the satellite has received your request for help

Daverw

Visit site
With thre battery replacement I’ve just had it’s certified and battery pack from ocean safety as originally fitted and dated according for 2031

I’be also just added a PLB3, this does have return confirmation of the transmission being received.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I’be also just added a PLB3, this does have return confirmation of the transmission being received.

Thats interested do you have aa link to the info as most EPIRB's or PLB to no have the facility to receive and signals.

Where does the signal come from is it from the satellite or a land-based station. Think of the antenna needed to receive any signal from a satellite

Return Link Service

Return Link Service or RLS functionality works when Search and Rescue send a signal back through the Galileo satellite network to confirm to the beacon user that their distress message has been received and their location detected. User confirmation is distinctly indicated by a flashing blue light on the PLB3. In addition to including a comprehensive feature set, the PLB3 AIS Personal Locator Beacon is built for comfort. Enjoy the peace of mind in knowing that your distress message has been successfully delivered and that help is on the way.

Not quite an automatic signal from the satellite that received the emergency signal

Last edited:

merjan

Visit site
There are some problems with replacement batteries in PLB, EPIRB.s or MOB's

1) The lithium batteries do have a shelf (self-discharge as all batteries have) so the longer they are in storage the less the life than have when in use.

The fresher the batteries the better so a supplier with a higher turnover of batteries the better as the batteries will be fresher
These dates are often written on the batteries.
2) the excessive cost set by the manufacturer is taking of an dominate position and is in conflict with the monolatry laws
I wondered if that might be a case or whether they get away with "risks". I read through the service instructions and the process does not require special skills. With good intentions they would let users replace their own batteries and have the responsibility for doing a proper job.
5) Does the supplier / manufacturer grantee the operating life of the battery and if it does it not provide the 24/48 hours transmission time can you claim for any losses as a result. They will not as there is no grantee on the life of any battery.
As long as I am using the very same battery that the manufacturer uses, I am not too concerned about that.
6) Yes, it is a lifesaving piece of equipment but no certainty it will work and more importantly save your life if run over by a tanker.

7) if you set off an EPIRB or PLB you get no confirmation that the satellite has received your request for help
In this case you can see the AIS signal on your chartplotter.