Engine overhaul schedule

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Scenario: a modern but 15 year old small diesel is being removed in order to access some parts of the boat structure and effect repairs. The engine runs fine, maybe it doesn't start quite as quickly as when it was new, but no problems. Has maybe 700 hours run.

Plan is to refit the engine.

What would you do to the engine when you have the opportunity while it’s out? New starter? Water pump? Alternator? Wiring loom? Top off?

All suggestions gratefully received.

V1701

Visit site
Assuming usual regular maintenance (oil, filter) is up to date I would do no more than tidy it up cosmetically if/where necessary & put it back in...

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
My Yanmar 3GM 30F is about 25 years old and has 2700 hours on the clock. I have replaced 1 elbow and one water pump. These are probably the weakest links and are well worth checking thoroughly. Otherwise I have changed belts once and done regular oil and filter changes. That's it.

Plum

Visit site
Scenario: a modern but 15 year old small diesel is being removed in order to access some parts of the boat structure and effect repairs. The engine runs fine, maybe it doesn't start quite as quickly as when it was new, but no problems. Has maybe 700 hours run.

Plan is to refit the engine.

What would you do to the engine when you have the opportunity while it’s out? New starter? Water pump? Alternator? Wiring loom? Top off?

All suggestions gratefully received.
Agree with others. That is a young engine with little usage. Are there any parts where access is difficult with engine in place? If it has a steel sump would be worth hecking for corrosion and condition of the paint. I would certainly consider new engine mounts. Otherwise, just put it back.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Exhaust elbow well worth checking. Depending on make and model they can look fine on outside but do corrode on inside. When did you last check/ replace the sacrificial anodes in the engine? And of course water pump and impeller and hoses and belts. I would also be tempted to take out and check the injector(s). Also give it a good clean and maybe repaint any rusty bits - might as well whilst it is out.

fredrussell

Visit site
Some engine manufacturers recommend changing engine mounts periodically. I think Yanmar suggest once every 10 years (??). My Yanmar ones are 34 years old(!) and seem to be fine though. Certainly no bad vibes.