Oceanis 281 vs. Jeanneau SO 29.2 - experiences ?

Overandunder

Visit site
Hi all. I'm returning to boat ownership after a few years without, and am drawing up a short list. The above boats have caught my eye so would appreciate any comment from current or previous owners.

My guess is the Oceanis is perhaps the more cruise orientated - but from what I gather it's based on the First 285 hull - which was no slouch, so that may be totally wrong.

I'm not an out an out racing type - but fast-ish cruising ability and shoal draft / able to dry out are important requirements (due to mooring type and the sailing areas I want to visit). Happy to entertain a lift keel version (had one before on my last boat). Realistic budget is around c. 25 - 28k. Thanks all.

fredrussell

Visit site
If you’re into fast-ish sailing surely one of the actual First boats would be better, no? Hanse or Dehler also quick by AWB standards.

Overandunder

Visit site
If you’re into fast-ish sailing surely one of the actual First boats would be better, no? Hanse or Dehler also quick by AWB standards.
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Hanse and Dehler models previously - but SWMBO thinks the interiors are a little too 'teutonic' - stark and unwelcoming basically.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Me ? I prefer Jeanneau .... (both are under same management - but designs stay separate).

Why ? It comes from older Bene designs where they used a lot of fwd volume for sail stowage ... based on their often being a 'round the cans' regatta boat .. this reduced the fwd cabin ..... Before anyone climbs on my back .. I know designs change ... but I still err to Jeanneau. Especially their Lift Keels ...

fredrussell

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Hanse and Dehler models previously - but SWMBO thinks the interiors are a too 'teutonic' - stark and unwelcoming basically.
Ha! Teutonic is a fair description. There used to be a First 325 on my pontoon - looked pretty plush inside and I think they’re within budget.

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Hanse and Dehler models previously - but SWMBO thinks the interiors are a little too 'teutonic' - stark and unwelcoming basically.

My Conq 38 is an older fast sleek hull design ... not the wide arse style that many have now ...

While visiting Roja - a couple came along the pontoon to chat with us ... turned out they had viewed the boat I bought months prior and 'wife' had said no ... its too racy and not family orientated cabin etc. I quite agree - its not a caravan interior as many nowadays.

They had then bought a Bene ....

Guy stood on the dock and said quite plainly in front of his wife that cabin interior is one thing - but the wide arse Bene in a following sea was not something he enjoyed ... and amazingly she agreed !!

Just commenting ...

fredrussell

Visit site
Guy stood on the dock and said quite plainly in front of his wife that cabin interior is one thing - but the wide arse Bene in a following sea was not something he enjoyed ... and amazingly she agreed !!

Just commenting ...
The OP is talking about spending £28k or so. Very much doubt you can buy a modern “wide arse” AWB for that sort of money. I dare say £28k Jen/Ben/Bavs from the 80s and 99’s have a hull shape not too dissimilar from your 38 footer.

Refueler

Visit site
Did you not read his original post? Very clear what his budget was. Your comments were not in the least bit relevant to the boats he is looking at.

So I missed the last few words .. what a crime !!

BUT in fact I can think of a few boats in that price range that my comments are actually not so wrong ... - I'll leave you to educate yourself on which they are ... I do dislike smarmy comments ...

Overandunder

Visit site
Guys - no need to fall out ! I appreciate everyone's perspective. Without sending everyone off to sleep my outline question covered just the basics of my personal attempt to try and find the 'boating happy compromise' - that most people are faced with one way or another.

Could I up the budget - and broaden my options ? Yes, but that might then include the temptations of larger boats, - and the associated higher annual costs. Older boat designs I appreciate too - but after some insurance enquiries have found that insurers aren't always so keen....more frequent and detailed surveys required, etc.

Without sounding too 'doomsday' the reality is I will probably only have the time and resource for one boat purchase, so need to be as sure as I can it will 'work' and be sustainable in as many aspects as possible, or not bother at all.

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
Guys - no need to fall out ! I appreciate everyone's perspective…
Nowt to worry about - this forum has a long history of ‘old boat is better vs new boat is better’ type discussions. As a new member you might feel it looks a bit rancorous but it’s pretty much business as usual. Other ‘trigger’ subjects are ‘which anchor?’ threads and, the new kid on the block: lithium vs lead acid batteries for the house bank.

Tranona

Visit site
Guys - no need to fall out ! I appreciate everyone's perspective. Without sending everyone off to sleep my outline question covered just the basics of my personal attempt to try and find the 'boating happy compromise' - that most people are faced with one way or another.

Could I up the budget - and broaden my options ? Yes, but that might then include the temptations of larger boats, - and the associated higher annual costs. Older boat designs I appreciate too - but after some insurance enquiries have found that insurers aren't always so keen....more frequent and detailed surveys required, etc.

Without sounding too 'doomsday' the reality is I will probably only have the time and resource for one boat purchase, so need to be as sure as I can it will 'work' and be sustainable in as many aspects as possible, or not bother at all.
The problem as you have found is that not only are there very few alternatives to these two but even these are fairly uncommon so finding people with experience of one, never mind both is not easy. Upping the budget probably won't help although it will get a more recent example. This sector was largely abandoned by volume builders 30 years ago when the much more commercially attractive 30'+ designs became "entry level" boats.

Both those builders have refined their products to a high level of acceptability in the target market and sold well in Europe but not so much in the UK. Beneteau for sale here in your price bracket yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/beneteau-oceanis-281-for-sale/744957 and a Jeanneau here yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/jeanneau-sun-odyssey-292-for-sale/745830 The latter looks like it meets your requirements better as maybe a bit more sporty.

Don't think you should be too worried about older designs other than finding a boat that has been kept up to date and is in good condition. The insurance requirements are no different, just maybe more difficult and expensive to meet with an older boat.

Boat buying is as much heart as head and with your past experience suspect you will just "know" which is the boat for you.

Overandunder

Visit site
The problem as you have found is that not only are there very few alternatives to these two but even these are fairly uncommon so finding people with experience of one, never mind both is not easy. Upping the budget probably won't help although it will get a more recent example. This sector was largely abandoned by volume builders 30 years ago when the much more commercially attractive 30'+ designs became "entry level" boats.

Both those builders have refined their products to a high level of acceptability in the target market and sold well in Europe but not so much in the UK. Beneteau for sale here in your price bracket yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/beneteau-oceanis-281-for-sale/744957 and a Jeanneau here yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/jeanneau-sun-odyssey-292-for-sale/745830 The latter looks like it meets your requirements better as maybe a bit more sporty.

Don't think you should be too worried about older designs other than finding a boat that has been kept up to date and is in good condition. The insurance requirements are no different, just maybe more difficult and expensive to meet with an older boat.

Boat buying is as much heart as head and with your past experience suspect you will just "know" which is the boat for you.
Thanks for the links Tranona - I've followed some your postings before re: Feeling yachts (I once owned a 720). You're right - choices are limited. My 720 (from 1984) was fitted with an outboard and after battling one tide too many I vowed the next boat would be inboard equipped. There are several smaller Jen / Ben models (Tonic and Bene equivalent) that are mostly outboard only - so are off the list.

I went to have a look around a First 285 recently - but just didn't take to it. The cockpit felt very shallow - as though I was sailing with my knees under my chin, and sitting out didn't feel comfortable.

Am I being fussy ? You bet. I'm spending more on this than I put down on a house!

The Jen 29.2 is next up for consideration I think. They made around 800 of them apparently so they must have hit the spot for some - although only a handful of that number will have made it here of course.