How do you refer

johnalison

Visit site
By name only to people who know her/it. Even so, I am more likely to say "I'm going down to the boat" to anyone. My boat is of somewhat indeterminate gender and I am probably too casual about not saying 'her'. To most people, both inside and outside the sailing world, I pretty well always say 'boat'. It might help non-sailors if I called it a yacht, but I have grown up to avoid saying this. as sounding pretentious.

Minerva

Visit site
Depends who I'm talking to. If its to my boss its "my wee boat" Don't want her thinking I get paid too much!

Stemar

Visit site
By name only to people who know her/it. Even so, I am more likely to say "I'm going down to the boat" to anyone. My boat is of somewhat indeterminate gender and I am probably too casual about not saying 'her'. To most people, both inside and outside the sailing world, I pretty well always say 'boat'. It might help non-sailors if I called it a yacht, but I have grown up to avoid saying this. as sounding pretentious.
Plus a variety of names when things don't go right...

Romeo

Visit site
depends who you are talking to, but given I have interests in 7 different boats.... usually by name.

KevinV

Visit site
"the boat" mostly, "the mistress" when talking to my fwb, "my yacht" (pronounced yawt) when taking the micky out of it's size, by name when distinguishing it from my project boat

Rappey

Visit site
I have interests in 7 different boats.... usually by name.
I also had vested interests in 7 boats but sold the "pile of cr@p" 2 weeks ago and the others are referred to as the centaur, the tomahawk, the snap dragon etc.
For my own two boats its either my sailing boat or my speed boat (very vague discription).
The only time the boats name is used is when I'm off to collect a new one (new to me) and i need to know which boat it is in amongst hundreds on moorings.

Stemar

Visit site
Years ago, Madame tutored French, and one of her clients was a rather snooty lady living in Hampstead. "We went to St Tropez for the weekend. What did you do?" "Oh, we sailed to Cowes on my husband's yacht." Mrs Snooty was a lot less superior after that.

What Madame had neglected to mention was that the yacht in question was a 40+ year old, slightly scruffy Snapdragon 24.

johnalison

Visit site
Years ago, Madame tutored French, and one of her clients was a rather snooty lady living in Hampstead. "We went to St Tropez for the weekend. What did you do?" "Oh, we sailed to Cowes on my husband's yacht." Mrs Snooty was a lot less superior after that.

What Madame had neglected to mention was that the yacht in question was a 40+ year old, slightly scruffy Snapdragon 24.
I once did a link call to my brother to tell him I was on my way home from France. He was hosting some rich friends for dinner at the time and took pleasure in telling them that he was talking to his brother on his yacht, even though it was just a Sadler 29.

Bouba

Visit site
I once did a link call to my brother to tell him I was on my way home from France. He was hosting some rich friends for dinner at the time and took pleasure in telling them that he was talking to his brother on his yacht, even though it was just a Sadler 29.
I had lunch in Antibes on Tuesday with a rich bloke.....but he still left me poorer for it 😩😥

capnsensible

Visit site
I friend reminded me recently of an occasion where I kinda was a bit um sarky.

We were sat enjoying a beer on a terrace overlooking our home marina. A guy nearby was being a bit loud and boastful about his sailing and said 'I can see my yacht from here'.

So I told him 'I can see both of mine....'

As you do.