Yanmar 15W40 diesel engine oil?

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Hi,
I'm in the process of buying 10L of 15W40 engine oil for the Yamnar 4JH4E diesel engine.
This is a non synthetic, old fashioned oil.
The online cost for 10L of Yanmar branded oil is around £100, with an additional £25 for delivery.
I'm aware that Yanmar don't make engine oil, so I've been looking locally for an equivalent. All the local garages and supermarkets only stock synthetic or semi synthetic oil.
Bearing in mind that I live in Aberdeenshire, and it's a long way to the nearest yacht Chandler's.
What engine oil, available online, are people using for Yanmar diesel engines?
The Spec' says API C1-4SL, ACEA: E7, A3/B3, A3/B4 JASO DH-1, none of which make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
My recently sold boat had 2 x Yanmar 4JH3TE engines and, at service time, I always bought the best value available known brand 15W40 oil.

Refueler

Visit site
Personally I know I should do better ... but like Irish Rover - I buy recognised best value oil of the recc'd visco and will usually go for Semi synthetic ...

Contrary to some 'experts' advice ... reason I go Semi ... you never know what you may have to use unexpectedly - at least with Semi - you can get away with mixing mineral or full synthetic if that's all that's available when needed.

I know - I should know better !! But I've never had a car or any other engine fail on that system.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Hi,
I'm in the process of buying 10L of 15W40 engine oil for the Yamnar 4JH4E diesel engine.
The online cost for 10L of Yanmar branded oil is around £100, with an additional £25 for delivery.
I'm aware that Yanmar don't make engine oil, so I've been looking locally for an equivalent. All the local garages and supermarkets only stock synthetic or semi synthetic oil.
Bearing in mind that I live in Aberdeenshire, and it's a long way to the nearest yacht Chandler's.
The Spec' says API C1-4SL, ACEA: E7, A3/B3, A3/B4 JASO DH-1, none of which make a lot of sense to me.
API CI-4 is an excellent grade for yacht engines. Blended for low sulfur fuels, so suits cool running engines very well. Available everywhere as semi-synthetic or mineral.

Sea Change

Visit site
Hi,
Try an industrial supplier like HIS or McGregors

Plum

Visit site
Hi,
I've been buying/using this in my Volvo Penta for the past 8 years EXOL SHPD ENGINE OIL 15W40 ACEA E7 VDS3 20 LTR OEM APPROVED OIL SEE LISTING | eBay

Ian_Edwards

Visit site

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Can I make my first million smuggling mineral engine oil to the frozen north? 😁

It's not a yacht chandler's you need (there's nothing specifically yachty about engine oil), but a car spares shop (independent or Halfrauds) or, as someone has suggested above, and agricultural suppliers.

Refueler

Visit site
All I suggest is that with the cheap oils such as Comma - do not extend your change intervals !!

Cheap oils often have reconstituted / recycled oil as part of the volume ... with additives to improve the spec on analysis ... they are fine - but as I suggest - not wise to extend your change intervals ...

lexi

Visit site
I use Mercedes brand oil 15w40 mineral. cheap deals from Smith and Allen. I believe it is suited to Yanmar GM engines. About 20quid for 5 litre.

jdc

Visit site
I buy mine from the nearest Kubota dealer: Kubota Power 15W-40 to CI-4 (see pic). 20 litres over the counter costs about £85. It's made by Total I believe.

Don't know where in the Highlands you are, but HRN Tractors supply it (branches in Stirling, Kinloss, Aberdeen and several others).

20240415_123015.jpg

Aja

Visit site
Hi,
I use Comma brand 15/40. Available from almost every motor factor. Oil change every autumn or ~100 hours