Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Default Re: "Hookah" Air Breathing Hose

Quote Originally Posted by YIMKIN View Post
    Why not use a dive cylinder but leave it on deck and take a basic dive regulator and substitute your longer hose for the normal hose? I f the cylinder is strapped to a side deck you should be able to reach any part of the hull.
    Thats exactly what I do some times, but I do have a compressor onboard to refill my cylinder. I do also have a hookah set on board as well
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/y73wgy6u

I tried a short hose on a snorkel, and it did not work at all.. you cannot draw air in.

A good friend once allowed me to try his set-up, whereby he had a long tube attached to a regular diving air tank on deck. This delivered to a scuba type pressure regulator and mouth piece. This enabled me to get down to below the keel depths and breathe ok. The difficulty however is buoyancy. Scuba divers regulate their buoyancy to neutral using a blow-up jacket, I believe. I had 4kg in a weight belt, but was still buoyant, so my said friend took off his own weight belt and put it on me while under water. My ensuing panic ended the experiment, as I dashed for the surface!
    Lived the dream on http://www.syfuga.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by syfuga View Post
    I tried a short hose on a snorkel, and it did not work at all.. you cannot draw air in.

A good friend once allowed me to try his set-up, whereby he had a long tube attached to a regular diving air tank on deck. This delivered to a scuba type pressure regulator and mouth piece. This enabled me to get down to below the keel depths and breathe ok. The difficulty however is buoyancy. Scuba divers regulate their buoyancy to neutral using a blow-up jacket, I believe. I had 4kg in a weight belt, but was still buoyant, so my said friend took off his own weight belt and put it on me while under water. My ensuing panic ended the experiment, as I dashed for the surface!
    With a shorty wetsuit I need 8kg to stay under the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by syfuga View Post

The trick is to check your buoyancy before you get stuck into the dive. Roughly speaking you should just float vertically with water at about eye level. Have a range of weights to fit or carry to get it just right. I tend to use positive buoyancy and dive down to hold onto the keel bottom to scrub keel then do the centre bottom by simply fending myself off the hull. But that is all with snorkel. Mostly no wet suit no weights. olewill

Quote Originally Posted by steveallan View Post
    Having problems sending a PM about the hose if it is still available I would like it. If not can you PM the suppliers details.
    Steve, I have PM'd you - have you got it?
    Cheers
    Dave

Yes sent a pm

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345